From: yaeger on
mftips(a)gmail.com wrote:
> To Search for a particular string within a file when the exact position
> of that string within a record is not known and to write that record in
> the Output file the following SORT card can be used.

Your examples are actually incorrect. Your control statements contain
blanks that will result in syntax errors. For example 1, the INCLUDE
statement should be:

INCLUDE COND=(1,80,SS,EQ,C'FIND STRING')

Your second example does NOT do what you say it does.

INCLUDE COND=(1,80,SS,EQ,C'HDR,TRL')

will actually include records with the string 'HDR,TRL' in them. To
include records with the string 'HDR' or the string 'TRL' in them, you
would use this DFSORT INCLUDE statement:

INCLUDE COND=(1,80,SS,EQ,C'HDR',OR,
1,80,SS,EQ,C'TRL')

To include records with the string 'HDR' or the string 'TRL' in
positions 11-13, you could use this DFSORT INCLUDE statement:

INCLUDE COND=(11,3,SS,EQ,C'HDR,TRL')

For those who are not familiar with DFSORT and DFSORT's ICETOOL, I'd
suggest reading through "z/OS DFSORT: Getting Started". It's an
excellent tutorial, with lots of examples, that will show you how to
use DFSORT, DFSORT's ICETOOL and DFSORT Symbols. You can access it
online, along with all of the other DFSORT books, from:

www.ibm.com/servers/storage/support/software/sort/mvs/srtmpub.html

Frank Yaeger - DFSORT Team (IBM) - yaeger(a)us.ibm.com
Specialties: ICETOOL, IFTHEN, OVERLAY, Symbols, Migration
=> DFSORT/MVS is on the Web at http://www.ibm.com/storage/dfsort/

From: yaeger on

From: Howard Brazee on
On 9 Feb 2006 09:51:33 -0800, yaeger(a)us.ibm.com wrote:

>For those who are not familiar with DFSORT and DFSORT's ICETOOL, I'd
>suggest reading through "z/OS DFSORT: Getting Started". It's an
>excellent tutorial, with lots of examples, that will show you how to
>use DFSORT, DFSORT's ICETOOL and DFSORT Symbols. You can access it
>online, along with all of the other DFSORT books, from:
>
>www.ibm.com/servers/storage/support/software/sort/mvs/srtmpub.html
>
>Frank Yaeger - DFSORT Team (IBM) - yaeger(a)us.ibm.com
>Specialties: ICETOOL, IFTHEN, OVERLAY, Symbols, Migration
>=> DFSORT/MVS is on the Web at http://www.ibm.com/storage/dfsort/

What happened to
HTTP://PUBLIBZ.BOULDER.IBM.COM/CGI-BIN/BOOKMGR_OS390/BOOKS/ISPZU220/APPENDIX1
?
From: yaeger on
Howard Brazee wrote:
> What happened to
> HTTP://PUBLIBZ.BOULDER.IBM.COM/CGI-BIN/BOOKMGR_OS390/BOOKS/ISPZU220/APPENDIX1
> ?

Howard,

Sorry, but I don't understand your question. Are you looking for an
Appendix in a specific DFSORT book? If so, which Appendix in which
book? If not, please clarify.

From: Howard Brazee on
On 9 Feb 2006 10:09:16 -0800, yaeger(a)us.ibm.com wrote:

>> What happened to
>> HTTP://PUBLIBZ.BOULDER.IBM.COM/CGI-BIN/BOOKMGR_OS390/BOOKS/ISPZU220/APPENDIX1
>> ?
>
>Howard,
>
>Sorry, but I don't understand your question. Are you looking for an
>Appendix in a specific DFSORT book? If so, which Appendix in which
>book? If not, please clarify.

I had it as a link written in as documentation for a job. It no
longer points to anything and I want to update my documentation with
wherever that old documentation was moved to. Trouble is, I don't
remember what it said.