From: jkellington on
I have WSS 3.0 running on a Win2K3SP1+SQL200Sp4 server that used to host
SPS2003. When we removed SPS2003, the add/remove programs method failed with
a fatal error, so I had to do the uninstall manually according to
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/830326. The only leftovers (other than still
being listed in Add/Remove Programs) are three files in C:\Program
Files\SharePoint Portal Server\Bin (msscntrs.dll, mserror.dll and tquery.dll)
which still seem to be attached to some running process and as a result I
can't delete them. Normally, I would just hunt down the service, kill the
process and delete the files, but these particular dll's appear to be tied to
SQL and I have no desire to break that.

All of this really wouldn't bother me except for the fact that search is not
working in WSS 3.0. All of the appropriate services are running and the
sites in question have been assigned to the search server, but when I attempt
a search, I get "The search request was unable to connect to the Search
Service".

On the server, I also get Event ID's: 10038, 10039 and 10040 which have to
do with access being denied to the search server and it being taken out of
the rotation.

I've reached the end of my rope on this one and I'm hoping someone will be
able to provide some insight on this for me.

Thanks,
Jason