From: Ben Dunlap on

> stripping, stemming, spelling corrections ?
>  ... uhm, that's probably why they invented regular expressions, isn't it?
>
> As I said, at the end of the day, this will be a manual slow, potentially wrong implementation of what we already have and use on daily basis.

If you've got a regular-expression-based method in mind that simply
nails the OP's problem, please share. I'm still not seeing how
"regular expressions" is a sufficient answer to the OP's problem,
which is basically fuzzy search.

My sense is that regular expressions are for situations where you
basically know just what you're searching for, but don't really know
where it falls in your search space.

The OP, on the other hand, is building a system where he won't know
just what he's searching for -- all he'll know is that his search key
is "sort of like" the thing he actually needs to find.

You might be able to squeeze this problem, or at least some part of
it, into a regex-based solution, but I don't think it's a natural fit.

Ben
From: Lupus Michaelis on
Ashley Sheridan a �crit :
> What's wrong with using the wildcards that are built into most SQL
> variants?

Performance issues. Like is an operator to avoid when possible.

--
Micka�l Wolff aka Lupus Michaelis
http://lupusmic.org
From: Ashley Sheridan on
On Fri, 2009-09-04 at 17:00 +0200, Lupus Michaelis wrote:
> Ashley Sheridan a écrit :
> > What's wrong with using the wildcards that are built into most SQL
> > variants?
>
> Performance issues. Like is an operator to avoid when possible.
>
> --
> Mickaël Wolff aka Lupus Michaelis
> http://lupusmic.org

You'll have far greater performance issues if you retrieve all those
records and attempt to do the same thing inside of PHP...

Thanks,
Ash
http://www.ashleysheridan.co.uk

From: Lupus Michaelis on
sono-io(a)fannullone.us a �crit :

> Here's an example: let's say there is an itemID of 4D-2448-7PS but
> someone omits the dashes and searches on 4D24487PS. Is it possible in
> PHP to have the find be successful, even if the search criteria doesn't
> exactly match what's stored in the field?

I think you don't follow the good path. A good way could be to have a
strenger UI management. For exemple, here, you have an ID that is
composed about 3 bits. So do the UI present three input fields, or write
a smart input (with JS).

Of course, in the control side (PHP), you have to check the format of
the returned data. Here you can reject the input, or fall through some
segment of code that try to interpret the submitted value. But in first
time, do it simple and be rough to users. Usability can be improved in a
second time.

From: Lupus Michaelis on
Ashley Sheridan a écrit :

> You'll have far greater performance issues if you retrieve all those
> records and attempt to do the same thing inside of PHP...

be usefull, I used to use it. But it is not the a good answer to all
problems. The problem with like operator is it can't use the index (or
in a very limited way). So I try to warn about it.

So said, I never submit an all-retrieving method. I know it isn't the
solution too.