From: Paul M Foster on
On Fri, Sep 04, 2009 at 08:15:41PM -0400, Robert Cummings wrote:

> Paul M Foster wrote:
>> On Fri, Sep 04, 2009 at 04:22:18PM -0400, Eddie Drapkin wrote:
>>
>>> On Fri, Sep 4, 2009 at 12:02 PM, Lupus
>>> Michaelis<mickael+php(a)lupusmic.org> wrote:
>>
>>> if you're on shared hosting (but then again I am of the opinion
>>> that those who choose to run with shared hosting dig their own graves
>>> in more ways than one).
>>
>> Any time you or someone else would like to backstop me in setting up a
>> dedicated server on rackspace or somewhere else, for free or really
>> cheap, you let me know! Otherwise, those of us with less than complete
>> expertise in server setup are stuck with shared hosting. ;-}
>
> For a few hundred bucks a year you can get a VPS (Virtual Private
> Server), which gives you root access. once you get a couple of clients
> on it, it will pay for itself year after year. If you have clients that
> don't use much resources, you can put a few on and even make a profit on
> the hosting alone.

Oh sure. Well aware of it. The problem is not finding a VPS or working
with root access or anything like that. The problem is expertise. POP3,
SMTP, SSH, HTTP, DNS, firewall security while still allowing access to
outward facing servers, etc. It's more expertise than most people have,
including me. The servers I run are internal and don't have to deal with
the rigors of the internet, and only serve a couple of people. Setting
up multiple domains under an Apache server is black magic to me, for
instance. And then there's backups, and
what-do-I-do-if-the-server-fails, etc. Sheesh.

Paul

--
Paul M. Foster
From: Tommy Pham on
> On Fri, Sep 04, 2009 at 08:15:41PM -0400, Robert Cummings wrote:
>
> > Paul M Foster wrote:

> >> Any time you or someone else would like to backstop me in setting up a
> >> dedicated server on rackspace or somewhere else, for free or really
> >> cheap, you let me know! Otherwise, those of us with less than complete
> >> expertise in server setup are stuck with shared hosting. ;-}
> >
> > For a few hundred bucks a year you can get a VPS (Virtual Private
> > Server), which gives you root access. once you get a couple of clients
> > on it, it will pay for itself year after year. If you have clients that
> > don't use much resources, you can put a few on and even make a profit on
> > the hosting alone.
>
> Oh sure. Well aware of it. The problem is not finding a VPS or working
> with root access or anything like that. The problem is expertise. POP3,
> SMTP, SSH, HTTP, DNS, firewall security while still allowing access to
> outward facing servers, etc. It's more expertise than most people have,
> including me. The servers I run are internal and don't have to deal with
> the rigors of the internet, and only serve a couple of people. Setting
> up multiple domains under an Apache server is black magic to me, for
> instance. And then there's backups, and
> what-do-I-do-if-the-server-fails, etc. Sheesh.

I stand corrected. You paid for peace of mind :D