From: Safety123 on
I have a Pentium 4 2.26 GHZ with one gig ram with a WD Caviar 80 gig
800 JB. Hard drive is 2006, computer is 2002.

I ordered a similar hard drive and wish to add it. How hard will it
be? Is it just a matter of connecting it?

Thanks
Safety123(a)aol.com
From: Richard in AZ on
First, you should read up on how to "jumper" the hard drives to configure the original drive as a
master and the second drive as a slave. Some brands of Hard drive have to be jumpered for "Master
Only" or for "Master with Slave". Setting them for "Cable Select" is the easiest option and then
the master is connected to the end of the cable and the slave to the second connection on the cable.
(Your IDE cable does have two connectors doesn't it? IDE is assumed for a 2002 computer)

Second you should read up on how to "Partition" the new drive and then how to "Format" it.
In XP, a good tool is the "disk management" feature.

Third, did you check to see if you have a physical bracket to mount the second drive. A lot of
Dell computers do not provide that option without buying a special bracket.

From: Mark Adams on

"Safety123" wrote:

> I have a Pentium 4 2.26 GHZ with one gig ram with a WD Caviar 80 gig
> 800 JB. Hard drive is 2006, computer is 2002.
>
> I ordered a similar hard drive and wish to add it. How hard will it
> be? Is it just a matter of connecting it?
>
> Thanks
> Safety123(a)aol.com
> .

If you are adding it just for additional storage space, yes just connect the
cables and it should be good to go. The new drive is undoubtedly SATA; make
sure that your older machine has SATA ports to connect to. If not, you will
have to add a SATA controller card to an available PCI slot.

If you wish to move the operating system and applications to the new drive,
you will need to clone the old drive to the new one. Most hard drive makers
have a cloning utility included in the box with the new drive. You can also
check their website for a cloning utility that you can download. There is
also a trial version of Acronis True Image that I believe can also perform
the cloning.
From: Ken Blake, MVP on
On Mon, 19 Apr 2010 07:45:07 -0700, Safety123
<safety123(a)invalid.aol.com> wrote:

> I have a Pentium 4 2.26 GHZ with one gig ram with a WD Caviar 80 gig
> 800 JB. Hard drive is 2006, computer is 2002.
>
> I ordered a similar hard drive and wish to add it.

You're buying another 80GB drive? These days that's absolutely tiny.
For very little more money, you could have gotten one double the size.

> How hard will it
> be? Is it just a matter of connecting it?

Assuming that there is room in the case, and you have spare connectors
available, it's very easy. You need to do the following:

1. Mount it in your case with screws.

2. Plug in a power cable.

3. Plug in a data cable.

4. Correctly set the jumpers on the new drive and any other drive on
the same cable (probably).

5. Format the drive.

Please Reply to the Newsgroup
From: Safety123 on
The new drive is 22-136-457 HD 80G|WD 7K 8M ATA100 WD800AAJB
My first drive is acting flaky so I would like to clone them

Thank you
safety123(a)aol.com