From: Drew Weaver on
'1291i2(a)ee.net' on 2/14/2005 10:17 AM
The recipient could not be processed because it would violate the security
policy in force
<BIGLOG.thenap.com #5.7.0 smtp;530 5.7.0 Authentication required - on relay
of: MAIL FROM:cdcd(a)thenap.com>

Ok we've had this exchange 2k3 server running for like 6 months now, working
great, then today we come to work and suddenly these error messages start
popping up out of nowhere, any idea whats going on?

Thanks,
-Drew

From: Ben Winzenz [Exchange MVP] on
That is the default behavior of Exchange. What is trying to send the
message? Sounds like it is a POP3 or IMAP client. The relay restrictions
on Exchange 2003 default to only allowing computers that authenticate to
relay messages.

--
Ben Winzenz
Exchange MVP

From: Drew Weaver on
Its outlook 2003.

And we are authenticated, we're all logged into the domain controller.

-Drew
"Ben Winzenz [Exchange MVP]" <ben_winzenz(a)NOSPAMdotmessageonedotcom> wrote
in message news:%23KsoM8qEFHA.1524(a)TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...

From: Ben Winzenz [Exchange MVP] on
First of all, if Outlook is connecting in MAPI mode to Exchange, then it
doesn't relay messages. It simply submits them to the store. The only way
that Outlook would ever need to relay a message is if it is connecting to
Exchange via POP3 or IMAP instead of MAPI. That's why I asked about what is
trying to send the message.

Secondly, I guess the more important question is, is biglog.thenap.com your
server? I assumed it was based on your initial post, but just want to make
sure.

From: Rich Matheisen [MVP] on
"Drew Weaver" <drew(a)nixboxen.com> wrote:

>'1291i2(a)ee.net' on 2/14/2005 10:17 AM
>The recipient could not be processed because it would violate the security
>policy in force
><BIGLOG.thenap.com #5.7.0 smtp;530 5.7.0 Authentication required - on relay
>of: MAIL FROM:cdcd(a)thenap.com>
>
>Ok we've had this exchange 2k3 server running for like 6 months now, working
>great, then today we come to work and suddenly these error messages start
>popping up out of nowhere, any idea whats going on?

I don't think that the problem is your server. Exchange 20003 says
"550 5.7.1 Unable to relay for x(a)y.z"

The primary MX for "thenap.com" belongs to Postini. I'd suggest you
start with them.

220 Postini ESMTP 124 y5_3_1c1 ready. CA Business and Professions
Code Section 17538.45 forbids use of this system for unsolicited
electronic mail advertisements.

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP