From: GhostBuck on
In SQL I am able to select a field as something else. I will use this
in generic function for naming grid columns readable to the user.

e.g. Select bdate as [Date of Birth] from ....

Oracle via ADO does not seem to like the [] around the "AS" name. How
would I accomplish this in Oracle?
From: Mladen Gogala on
On Sun, 21 Mar 2010 09:36:08 -0700, GhostBuck wrote:

> Oracle via ADO does not seem to like the [] around the "AS" name. How
> would I accomplish this in Oracle?

Without the brackets around?

--
http://mgogala.freehostia.com
From: GhostBuck on
Without the brackets it works... but you have to lose the spaces, ":",
".", etc. For instance I might want to do this:

Select BatchNo as [Batch Number:] to make a grid readable by the user.
From: Tony Sequeira on
GhostBuck wrote:
> In SQL I am able to select a field as something else. I will use this
> in generic function for naming grid columns readable to the user.
>
> e.g. Select bdate as [Date of Birth] from ....
>
> Oracle via ADO does not seem to like the [] around the "AS" name. How
> would I accomplish this in Oracle?

Try with double quotes, so:

Select bdate as "[Date of Birth]" from ....

May help. Know nothing about ADO, pardon if this has been tried and
discarded.
--
S. Anthony Sequeira
++
From: Robert Klemme on
On 03/21/2010 06:46 PM, Tony Sequeira wrote:
> GhostBuck wrote:
>> In SQL I am able to select a field as something else. I will use this
>> in generic function for naming grid columns readable to the user.
>>
>> e.g. Select bdate as [Date of Birth] from ....
>>
>> Oracle via ADO does not seem to like the [] around the "AS" name. How
>> would I accomplish this in Oracle?
>
> Try with double quotes, so:
>
> Select bdate as "[Date of Birth]" from ....
>
> May help. Know nothing about ADO, pardon if this has been tried and
> discarded.

I believe double quotes are quite standard in SQL land. So my first
choice would be

Select bdate as "Date of Birth" from ....

Kind regards

robert

http://blog.rubybestpractices.com/