From: Helma on
I wonder what your thoughts are about the future of the Oracle RDBMS.
I read a lot of sentiment on the web against Oracle - and I see that
several of my coworkers are affected too. Reasons are for example:

- Oracle licenses are expensive, I have seen several projects only
for 'consolidations' in number of installed databases, and I have
heard a few managers wondering on how to switch to MSSQL. This MSSQL
is moving opposite direction and get more advanced every new version.
( Specially the BI tools of sql2008 were impressive to me).

- Oracle corp. seems to ignore its customers on support issues ( e.g.
Metalink, Oracle kills free support blog and Twitter account (see:
http://blogs.zdnet.com/Howlett/?p=1761 ).

- I've read ( but not witnessed firsthand) about oracle's audits -
sometimes described as a Machiavellian way to raise the 22% extra
maintenance fees oracle gets.

And, but thats perhaps a local issue - I see more MSSQL jobs than
Oracle ones. And a know a few unemployed Oracle DBA's, yes...

To sum up, it seems that the Oracle RDBMS is losing appeal. Do you
feel the same?

HV
From: Noons on
On Mar 22, 10:49 am, Helma <helma.vi...(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
> I wonder what your thoughts are about the future of the Oracle RDBMS.
> I read a lot of sentiment on the web against Oracle - and I see that
> several of my coworkers are affected too. Reasons are for example:
>
> - Oracle licenses are expensive, I have seen several projects only
> for  'consolidations' in number of  installed databases, and I have
> heard a few managers wondering on how to switch to MSSQL. This MSSQL
> is moving opposite direction and get more advanced every new version.
> ( Specially the BI tools of sql2008 were impressive to me).
>
> - Oracle corp. seems to ignore its customers on support issues ( e.g.
> Metalink, Oracle kills free support blog and Twitter account (see:http://blogs.zdnet.com/Howlett/?p=1761).
>
> - I've read ( but not witnessed firsthand) about oracle's audits -
> sometimes described as a Machiavellian way to raise the 22% extra
> maintenance fees oracle gets.
>
> And, but thats perhaps a local issue - I see more MSSQL jobs than
> Oracle ones. And a know a few unemployed Oracle DBA's, yes...
>
> To sum up, it seems that the Oracle RDBMS is losing appeal. Do you
> feel the same?

<yawn>
From: John Hurley on
On Mar 21, 7:49 pm, Helma <helma.vi...(a)hotmail.com> wrote:

snip

> To sum up, it seems that the Oracle RDBMS is losing appeal. Do you
> feel the same?

Not in this area in the US ... I know a bunch of unemployed people
with microsoft skills.

I think from a jobs and expected earnings for DBA standpoint Oracle
will lead the pack by a wide margin over the next 20 years. As long
as Larry and gang are able to buy out competitors ( even the open
source one ) and kind of continually muddy the waters it looks like
full speed ahead for Oracle.

From: Jonathan Lewis on

"John Hurley" <hurleyjohnb(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message

> As long
> as Larry and gang are able to buy out competitors ( even the open
> source one ) and kind of continually muddy the waters it looks like
> full speed ahead for Oracle.

Full speed ahead in muddy waters -
a dangerous mixture of metaphors ;)

--
Regards

Jonathan Lewis
http://jonathanlewis.wordpress.com

From: Mladen Gogala on
On Mon, 22 Mar 2010 04:27:12 -0700, John Hurley wrote:

> As long
> as Larry and gang are able to buy out competitors ( even the open source
> one ) and kind of continually muddy the waters it looks like full speed
> ahead for Oracle.

Just like HMS "Titanic": full speed ahead in muddy (OK, icy) waters. I
have no crystal ball, I can't say what will happen to Oracle. Que serra,
serra, whatever will be, will be, the future is not ours to see...
At any rate, having Larry Ellison being portrayed by someone like
Leonardo di Caprio wouldn't be the worst possible fate.

--
http://mgogala.freehostia.com