From: Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn on
Jukka K. Korpela wrote:

[Fixed quotation]
>> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^
>> ^^^^^^^^^^
>>> No, that does not make any sense, and I had no reason to "know" it.
>> Yes, it does make sense. Do you need another example?
>
> I wasn't asking for an example.

I don't care what you asked for. You made a statement, and I provided yet
another example that disproved it.

> I pointed that your statement does not make sense.

And I showed that it does.

> The example that you now gave has nothing that could sensibly
> be called "vertically positioned".

Yes, it has.

> You seem to be trying to make the point that Darin McGrew made but you
> are not explaining what you mean, just making noise.

You should use a fixed-width font to view it, then it becomes less noise.

> I already commented on Darin's message,

And you have missed the point in doing so. Besides, it was Gary Peek who
introduced "vertical alignment" and provided the example of it.

http://mxr.mozilla.org/mozilla1.9.2/source/dom/src/threads/nsDOMWorker.cpp

> does not use the style of starting arguments in the same column position
> in any consistent manner.

Irrelevant.

> [...]
>> The table in the example is what is called ASCII art: aligning
>> characters in columns (in a fixed-width font) so that the result is a
>> figure. In this case the figure was supposed to be a table. Using a
>> literally disfigured it.
>
> The discussion was about <code>, which means "computer code". It was not
> about tables at all, or about ASCII art in any sense.

If you had pondered upon this a bit longer, you might have been able to
realize that source code may also contain such comments, and this example
clearly is a part of source code (noticed the leading `;'s?).

> If you have some PREformatted data such as ASCII art or ASCII graph, then
> it's a matter of <pre> and has nothing to do with <code>. If it happens
> to be computer code, that's coincidential. There is nothing in the
> concept of "computer code" that makes monospace rendering necessary or
> even desirable.

You miss the point again.

PointedEars
From: Ed Mullen on
dorayme wrote:
> In article<3hhn9j.dpf.17.1(a)news.alt.net>,
> Ed Mullen<ed(a)edmullen.net> wrote:
>
>> I just thought it was:
>>
>> 1. ...
>> 2. ...
>> 3. ...
>> 4. ...
>> 5. ...
>> 6. ...: See point 1.
>
> This causes me a lot of trouble Ed, I am now locked in an endless
> loop. I wish you had not added the very last instruction after
> the colon. I am going to have to get a house call from my service
> folk.

Oooops! Here: CTRL+BREAK.

Sorry about that!

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net
From: Ed Mullen on
Jonathan N. Little wrote:
> Ed Mullen wrote:
>
>> Totally OT: I'm happy, I got a solution to a nagging problem in Windows
>> 7! Ooo! More reason to celebrate!
>>

> Just one? Oh please tell...it isn't upgrade to XP is it?

LOL. Well. My experience with W7 has generally been just great. It's
a big improvement over XP. Although I'm still running that on three
systems that aren't "beefy" enough for W7.

The problem was with a batch file. They changed the cmd.exe command
processor somehow and a file I'd been using in XP for years wouldn't
work right on 7.

FYI, it's the "Make Multiple Folders" discussed at:

http://edmullen.net/utility.php

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net
From: Albert Ross on
On Tue, 16 Feb 2010 15:34:45 -0600, Ben C <spamspam(a)spam.eggs> wrote:

>I'm not very happy with the idea of anything being smaller than itself.

My penis does that.

(Maybe I should use ems rather than pixels)
From: Chris F.A. Johnson on
On 2010-02-20, Albert Ross wrote:
> On Tue, 16 Feb 2010 15:34:45 -0600, Ben C <spamspam(a)spam.eggs> wrote:
>
>>I'm not very happy with the idea of anything being smaller than itself.
>
> My penis does that.
>
> (Maybe I should use ems rather than pixels)

Use smaller units; it will look more impressive (angstroms,
perhaps?).

--
Chris F.A. Johnson <http://cfajohnson.com>
Author: