From: Mike Easter on
Bear Bottoms wrote:
> Ever wish you could email files to your Dropbox? Yeah, me too. So I wrote
> an application to do just that!

When you compose your messages like that, it makes it appear that the
words above are your own.

If you are going to post a link and enhance the URL with information
pasted from the site, you should do it in such a way that it isn't
ambiguous about what you are saying (including if you aren't saying
anything of your own in the message) as opposed to what is being pasted
from the site's page which has been created by the site's/page's developer.

Here is how I do it, and I have been criticized for not doing enough to
indicate what I've pasted and what is mine.

http://sendtodropbox.com/about Send to Dropbox is a personal project by
Ralph Holzmann. Ralph spends most of his time doing front end
development for his employer, GroupCard.

--
Mike Easter
From: B℮ar Bottoms on
On Tue, 03 Aug 2010 15:33:13 -0700, Mike Easter wrote:

> If you are going to post a link and enhance the URL with information
> pasted from the site, you should do it in such a way that it isn't
> ambiguous about what you are saying

Jeeze Mike, wise up buddy. I do it purposely.

I'm a troll, who like to cream a bit of kudos off the back of others hard
work :)

Have a nice day.

--
B℮ar Bottoms
Proud p0wner of Googleware
From: Mark Warner on
Mike Easter wrote:
> Bear Bottoms wrote:
>> Ever wish you could email files to your Dropbox? Yeah, me too. So I
>> wrote an application to do just that!
>
> When you compose your messages like that, it makes it appear that the
> words above are your own.

Wouldn't there be some extremely potential legal problems for doing that?

--
Mark Warner
MEPIS Linux
From: H-Man on
On Tue, 3 Aug 2010 23:45:33 +0000 (UTC), Bear Bottoms wrote:

> Mike Easter <MikeE(a)ster.invalid> wrote in
>
>> Bear Bottoms wrote:
>>> Ever wish you could email files to your Dropbox? Yeah, me too. So I
>>> wrote an application to do just that!
>>
>> When you compose your messages like that, it makes it appear that the
>> words above are your own.
>>
>> If you are going to post a link and enhance the URL with information
>> pasted from the site, you should do it in such a way that it isn't
>> ambiguous about what you are saying (including if you aren't saying
>> anything of your own in the message) as opposed to what is being
>> pasted from the site's page which has been created by the
>> site's/page's developer.
>>
>> Here is how I do it, and I have been criticized for not doing enough
>> to indicate what I've pasted and what is mine.
>>

>> http://sendtodropbox.com/about Send to Dropbox is a personal project
>> by Ralph Holzmann. Ralph spends most of his time doing front end
>> development for his employer, GroupCard.
>>

> Most of the times I do, sometimes I don't. It is information. I don't
> care if you think it is from me or them. I'm not trying to prove
> anything.

Well to be fair to others, quoting others dialog without indicating it is a
quote is at best plagiarism. In this case reading your post indicates you
are responsible for authoring this software. This is hugely unfair to the
author and is misleading to anyone who does not understand your posting
style. This is why people are commenting on this.

--
HK
From: B℮ar Bottoms on
On Wed, 4 Aug 2010 08:54:02 -0600, H-Man wrote:

> Well to be fair to others, quoting others dialog without indicating it is a
> quote is at best plagiarism. In this case reading your post indicates you
> are responsible for authoring this software. This is hugely unfair to the
> author and is misleading to anyone who does not understand your posting
> style. This is why people are commenting on this.

I know, that's why I do it. Nice attempt to get me see reason though. The
team had a good guffaw over this one.

--
B℮ar Bottoms
Proud p0wner of Googleware