From: jtorres on
I have a Windows 2003 server using IIS and SMTP to send emails to the
Internet. This server (we'll call it REJECTEDSERVER) is used to as an SMTP
server for 3 other servers in the same location. The REJECTEDSERVER however
is not on our domain nor will it ever be but we can access it across our WAN.

Recipients are not receiving their emails so we're getting undeliverables:

Sent: 4/8/2010 2:58 PM

someone(a)somewhere.com on 4/8/2010 2:58 PM
There was a SMTP communication problem with the recipient's
email server. Please contact your system administrator.
<REJECTEDSERVER #5.5.0 smtp;504 <REJECTEDSERVER>: Helo command
rejected: need fully-qualified hostname>

How can I allow REJECTEDSERVER to successfully send mail without being on
our domain?
From: John Elliot on
Hi,

There are three machines involved here:

1. Your Web server that is sending message
2. REJECTEDSERVER
3. Recipients SMTP server that accepts messages for somewhere.com

The question is which server 2 or 3 is generating this NDR. If the NDR
is being generated by 3, you cannot do anything but stop using
REJECTEDSERVER. If the NDR is being generated by 2, you can configure
your web application to send a fully-qualified domain name in the HELO
command.

Often receiving SMTP server rejects incoming email message from another
SMTP server if the HELO command does not contain a fully qualified
domain name. For example:

HELO myMachine.MyDomain.com <-- This is good

HELO myMachine <-- This is not acceptable

Regards,
JE.

From: Ken Schaefer on
Hi,

As John says, you need to configure SMTP server to send FQDN in the HELO
command. I think you can do this by going to My Computer -> Properties ->
Change Computer Name -> More button, and adding a domain name.

FQDN doesn't have anything to do with AD per se.

Cheers
Ken

http://adOpenStatic.com/blog

From: Grant Taylor on
Ken Schaefer wrote:
> As John says, you need to configure SMTP server to send FQDN in the HELO
> command. I think you can do this by going to My Computer -> Properties
> -> Change Computer Name -> More button, and adding a domain name.

No. That will change the computers membership in a domain. That has
nothing to do with the FQDN that IIS's SMTP server uses.

Open properties if the IIS SMTP server, go to the Delivery tab, click
the Advanced button, and adjust the Fully-qualified domain name to suit.

> FQDN doesn't have anything to do with AD per se.

Correct.

However what you were suggesting changes the computers membership with
an AD (or NT4 / Samba) domain.

Grant. . . .
From: Ken Schaefer on

"Grant Taylor" <gtaylor(a)riverviewtech.net> wrote in message
>> FQDN doesn't have anything to do with AD per se.
>
> Correct.
>
> However what you were suggesting changes the computers membership with an
> AD (or NT4 / Samba) domain.

Actually, it doesn't.

Workgroup/Domain membership is controlled by the section below the "More"
button, where you choose whether the machine is a "member of...
Domain/Workgroup".

Cheers
Ken