From: Wally on
OK, some Islamic nut tries to blow up a plane, and now the security
guys have to prove they're even crazier by implementing moronic
"security" measures that do nothing to improve our security...

Nevertheless we have to follow the new procedures obediently and
politely.

So how are residents of Canada and elsewhere going to get our bulky
teles and multiple camera bodies down to the States when carry-on bags
are not allowed? One answer seems to be to send ahead using couriers.
Their percent lost and stolen packages are near zero, much lower than
the airlines. It might cost $100/package, but that might be worth it
for some.

Two questions, though, for those that might have experience with this:
1) Where to send the package if I have no hotel reservation at the
destination?

2) Are there going to be hassles with U.S. customs?

Any other helpful suggestions appreciated too.

Wally

On topic replies only please.
From: Savageduck on
On 2010-01-01 14:20:53 -0800, Wally <Wally(a)luxx.com> said:

> OK, some Islamic nut tries to blow up a plane, and now the security
> guys have to prove they're even crazier by implementing moronic
> "security" measures that do nothing to improve our security...
>
> Nevertheless we have to follow the new procedures obediently and
> politely.
>
> So how are residents of Canada and elsewhere going to get our bulky
> teles and multiple camera bodies down to the States when carry-on bags
> are not allowed? One answer seems to be to send ahead using couriers.
> Their percent lost and stolen packages are near zero, much lower than
> the airlines. It might cost $100/package, but that might be worth it
> for some.
>
> Two questions, though, for those that might have experience with this:
> 1) Where to send the package if I have no hotel reservation at the
> destination?
>
> 2) Are there going to be hassles with U.S. customs?
>
> Any other helpful suggestions appreciated too.
>
> Wally
>
> On topic replies only please.

I made the flight from AMS to Detroit on Dec 22. I had a carry on with
all of what was left of my camera gear and a laptop case (2 carry on
items) with no problem.

Currently the rules for carry on bags are in major flux. Canadian carry
on rules for flights to the US seem to be the most draconian at the
moment, but that could change from day to day. Check with your airline,
directly through a customer service number not online. Those Canadian
rules might have changed to something saner by the time you travel.

As to courier services costs and customs clearing issues, see what
FedEx has to say.

--
Regards,

Savageduck

From: Wally on
On Fri, 1 Jan 2010 15:07:34 -0800, Savageduck
<savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

>On 2010-01-01 14:20:53 -0800, Wally <Wally(a)luxx.com> said:
>
>> OK, some Islamic nut tries to blow up a plane, and now the security
>> guys have to prove they're even crazier by implementing moronic
>> "security" measures that do nothing to improve our security...
>>
>> Nevertheless we have to follow the new procedures obediently and
>> politely.
>>
>> So how are residents of Canada and elsewhere going to get our bulky
>> teles and multiple camera bodies down to the States when carry-on bags
>> are not allowed? One answer seems to be to send ahead using couriers.
>> Their percent lost and stolen packages are near zero, much lower than
>> the airlines. It might cost $100/package, but that might be worth it
>> for some.
>>
>> Two questions, though, for those that might have experience with this:
>> 1) Where to send the package if I have no hotel reservation at the
>> destination?
>>
>> 2) Are there going to be hassles with U.S. customs?
>>
>> Any other helpful suggestions appreciated too.
>>
>> Wally
>>
>> On topic replies only please.
>
>I made the flight from AMS to Detroit on Dec 22. I had a carry on with
>all of what was left of my camera gear and a laptop case (2 carry on
>items) with no problem.
>
>Currently the rules for carry on bags are in major flux. Canadian carry
>on rules for flights to the US seem to be the most draconian at the
>moment, but that could change from day to day. Check with your airline,
>directly through a customer service number not online. Those Canadian
>rules might have changed to something saner by the time you travel.
>
>As to courier services costs and customs clearing issues, see what
>FedEx has to say.

Yes, I will call them -- not too sure they will give me a straight
answer on the U.S. customs issue, but we will see.

From: nospam on
In article <gjssj5taeofk9t6n6oglhf93v4euo3nar5(a)4ax.com>, Wally
<Wally(a)luxx.com> wrote:

> So how are residents of Canada and elsewhere going to get our bulky
> teles and multiple camera bodies down to the States when carry-on bags
> are not allowed?

vote with your wallet. cancel the trip until they stop treating you and
everyone else like a criminal. be sure to explain to the airline and
the cities you were planning on visiting where you were going to spend
money why you will be going someplace *else*.
From: Pete D on

"nospam" <nospam(a)nospam.invalid> wrote in message
> In article <gjssj5taeofk9t6n6oglhf93v4euo3nar5(a)4ax.com>, Wally
> <Wally(a)luxx.com> wrote:
>
>> So how are residents of Canada and elsewhere going to get our bulky
>> teles and multiple camera bodies down to the States when carry-on bags
>> are not allowed?
>
> vote with your wallet. cancel the trip until they stop treating you and
> everyone else like a criminal. be sure to explain to the airline and
> the cities you were planning on visiting where you were going to spend
> money why you will be going someplace *else*.

Why would any business in the US care if Canucks came or not?