From: CY on
On 31 Dec 2009, 22:21, Bee <B...(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> I have used WMI but do not know how to interpret the data to determine if:
> (1) true hardware serial RS232
> (2) USB port
> (3) USB port with USB to Serial dongle.
> (4) other

Yes, but true RS-232 is not all serial comm, but normally all thing
that hook up to th before mentioned reg entry (not tested, but thats
what I think right now), the electrical interface is not interesting
but all noted there should be a serial communication device as you now
know them.
Nown 00:10 so I can report: its not been so bad this year soo far ;)
ohh, here comes some more fireworks gottago...
From: James Hahn on
I would have thought that you needed to know that the PC has one usable
serial port, and if it doesn't then you can suggest a USB to serial
converter. If it has one usable serial port you don't care whether it is a
USB device or an RS232 device or some other port emulator.

If you find _any_ serial port then there's no need to suggest that the user
install one.

From: Nobody on
"Bee" <Bee(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Huh?
> I need to know if a PC has one usable real serial RS232 port or more.
> If it does not, then I will suggest a USB to serial RS232 converter.
> If it has a real serial RS232 port I will test it to see if the hardware I
> expect is attached.
> Does not the USB to Serial driver look like a serial RS232 port so I can
> just try it as if it is an RS232 port?

As far as your software is concerned, they are both equally real. Perhaps
what you were looking for is finding which COM port exists. Start with port
1, then try to open it and trap any error. You get different errors if the
port is in use or if it doesn't exist. Then increment the port number and
try again, or simply let the user specify the port to use from a long
drop-down list.

From: CY on
As thinking about this a bit, if a modem (internal) acting like a com
port(addr &H358/258 INT 3/4) would be seen as a serial device (with it
is) then is it a serial port? *g*
//CY
From: CY on
On 2 Jan, 06:48, CY <christ...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> As thinking about this a bit, if a modem (internal) acting like a com
> port(addr &H358/258 INT 3/4) would be seen as a serial device (with it
> is) then is it a serial port? *g*
> //CY

oops 378/278 sorry---