From: Bee on
My VB6 app looks at ports using the MSCOMM (MSCOMM32 ActiveX Control)component.
I try to open a port and set parameters.
Unfortunately, I do not know how to distinguish a serial port from a USB port.
What test can I use to determine if the port is USB or Serial?

From: Jim Mack on
Bee wrote:
> My VB6 app looks at ports using the MSCOMM (MSCOMM32 ActiveX
> Control)component. I try to open a port and set parameters.
> Unfortunately, I do not know how to distinguish a serial port from
> a USB port. What test can I use to determine if the port is USB or
> Serial?

If you can open it with MSCOMM, it's a serial port. It doesn't matter
if it's a physical port, a virtual port, or a USB-hosted port.

--
Jim Mack
Twisted tees at http://www.cafepress.com/2050inc

From: CY on
On 31 Dec, 00:41, Bee <B...(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> My VB6 app looks at ports using the MSCOMM (MSCOMM32 ActiveX Control)component.
> I try to open a port and set parameters.
> Unfortunately, I do not know how to distinguish a serial port from a USB port.
> What test can I use to determine if the port is USB or Serial?

Unfortnatly I don have any serial or serial USB devices but
Number of serial devices might be found at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM
\CurrentControlSet\Services\Serial\Enum\Count
Do they differ in any way? I use them alike from VB with no problems
so far...
//CY
From: Bee on
I need to know if a port is Serial (RS232) or USB or whatever not just a
count although a count is useful. THere used to be two serial RS-232 ports
on a PC.
I need to see if my app will work on the PC or if I need to suggest a USB
Serial converter. There may not be any device hooked up so I cannot rely on
trying to communicate e.g. see if it respons as a modem (which I already do).
There are hardware interfaces that are only serial RS232 that I need to talk
to.
To me serial has always meant RS-232 as that is the technology I grew up with.

Also, does anyone recommend a good USB to Serial RS232 converter?

From: Nobody on
"Bee" <Bee(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I need to know if a port is Serial (RS232) or USB or whatever not just a
> count although a count is useful.

Why do you need to know that? I can't think of any reason to limit a
software from using USB-to-Serial converters. For you, they behave the same.