From: David Kerber on
In article <E0C57B85-8A3E-4889-B989-2F5860FCA234(a)microsoft.com>,
Bee(a)discussions.microsoft.com says...

> I need to know if a port is Serial (RS232) or USB or whatever not just a
> count although a count is useful. THere used to be two serial RS-232 ports
> on a PC.
> I need to see if my app will work on the PC or if I need to suggest a USB
> Serial converter. There may not be any device hooked up so I cannot rely on
> trying to communicate e.g. see if it respons as a modem (which I already do).
> There are hardware interfaces that are only serial RS232 that I need to talk
> to.
> To me serial has always meant RS-232 as that is the technology I grew up with.
>
> Also, does anyone recommend a good USB to Serial RS232 converter?

We use ones from B&B electronics (www.bb-elec.com). They have several
different kinds.

From: Dee Earley on
On 31/12/2009 16:57, Bee wrote:
> I need to know if a port is Serial (RS232) or USB or whatever not just a
> count although a count is useful. THere used to be two serial RS-232 ports
> on a PC.
> I need to see if my app will work on the PC or if I need to suggest a USB
> Serial converter. There may not be any device hooked up so I cannot rely on
> trying to communicate e.g. see if it respons as a modem (which I already do).
> There are hardware interfaces that are only serial RS232 that I need to talk
> to.
> To me serial has always meant RS-232 as that is the technology I grew up with.
>
> Also, does anyone recommend a good USB to Serial RS232 converter?

There is pretty much only one chipset available.
Every USB to serial device I've seen uses the Prolific PL2303 chipset
which is then put in an adapter with very little electrical difference
between all the manufacturers.

--
Dee Earley (dee.earley(a)icode.co.uk)
i-Catcher Development Team

iCode Systems
From: Dee Earley on

From: Jim Mack on
Dee Earley wrote:

> There is pretty much only one chipset available.
> Every USB to serial device I've seen uses the Prolific PL2303
> chipset which is then put in an adapter with very little electrical
> difference between all the manufacturers.

I'd say the FTDI-based converters are at least as common.

--
Jim Mack
Twisted tees at http://www.cafepress.com/2050inc