From: Rick on
On Fri, 02 Apr 2010 02:26:24 -0700, RayLopez99 wrote:

> Let's get serious for a moment. None of us here at C.O.L.A.--and I
> speak for all of us--are really here to promote Linux (or even oppose
> it). (snip)

You are not serious and you don't speak for all of us in COLA.

--
Rick
From: terryc on
On Fri, 02 Apr 2010 02:26:24 -0700, RayLopez99 wrote:

> So for the THIRD time I'm thinking of trying Linux out--the last two
> times, using old hardware about 15 and 2 years ago, ended in time-
> wasting disasters.
You will have the same problems on old hardware that any OS will have.

> I'm trying Linux out for the ONE feature it
> SUPPOSEDLY is good at: safe web surfing.
Choose a light Xwindows, likee ice and a light browser.

IME P3 will handle iceape. P2 will also, but you most definitely need to
stay away from any site with scripts. YMMV

From: terryc on
On Fri, 02 Apr 2010 23:17:06 +0200, Aragorn wrote:

>> So for the THIRD time I'm thinking of trying Linux out--the last two
>> times, using old hardware about 15 and 2 years ago, ended in time-
>> wasting disasters.
>
> Choosing deliberately old hardware - 15 years old? - will most
> definitely be a recipe for failure, whether you're installing GNU/Linux
> or Microsoft Windows. If I were to install, say, Windows 7 - I believe
> that's the latest iteration, right? (I don't do Windows, see...) - on
> that old Pentium MMX 200 MHz with 32 MB of RAM in it and a 1 MB
> videocard, then I probably won't get anywhere either.

That is RH5.0/1/2 vintage. If you can get the ram up, it will function as
a lightly loaded server for something like static pages. Drags under tvm
and the browser of the period if you want to web browse on it.