From: Peter Köhlmann on
RayLopez99 wrote:

< snip cretinouis drivel >

.:\:/:.
.:\:\:/:/:.
:.:\:\:/:/:.: DO
:=.' - - '.=: NOT
'=(\ 9 9 /)=' FEED
( (_) ) THE
/-vvv-'\ TROLLS!
/ \
/ /|,,,,,|\ \
/_// /^\ \\_\
WW( ( ) )WW
__\,,\ /,,/__
(______Y______)

From: bbgruff on
On Friday 02 April 2010 10:26 RayLopez99 wrote:

> I might try installing
> Linux dual boot so I can surf the net safely

That's very silly.
First, it's beyond you - you have shown yourself incapable of doing anything
when it comes to installing Linux. If you try again, it will just end in
tears - yours.
It's not your fault - you are simply too thick to do it.

There are three better solutions for you, given that you state that you just
want a dual boot to browse safely:-

1. Get yourself a machine with one of the various "instant on" Linux set
ups. Several to choose from.

2. Use a Live CD for your browsing. Even you ought to be able to manage
that. Use it for your on-line financial transactions as well - we wouldn't
want you losing all those millions of yours.

3. Buy, or get somebody to set up for you "Linux on a stick", and use that.

From: Aragorn on
On Saturday 03 April 2010 02:51 in comp.os.linux.hardware, somebody
identifying as Marti van Lin wrote...

> Op 02-04-10 23:17, Aragorn schreef:

Ah, iemand die ook Nederlands spreekt, zie ik. :p

>>> [...]
>>>
>>> I will only accept serious answers in this thread. If you reply "20
>>> minutes" you're not doing me or your cause, Linux advocacy, any
>>> favors. In fact, the opposite.
>>
>> My reply to your post was far more serious than your post itself, and
>> far more honest than the biased drivel you've sent off to newsgroups
>> outside of comp.os.linux.advocacy. And yes, you will be running into
>> trouble while setting up your computer like that, simply because
>> you'll be *looking* for trouble. That's what bias does.
>
> What an excellent post. Yet I'm afraid you are waisting your time and
> bandwidth.

I already had a feeling that this would be the case, but I wrote it
anyway, and in all earnest, so that the trolls could at the very least
not accuse the GNU/Linux community of being unwilling to help or not
knowing what we're talking about.

My reply to him was sincere and gave him all the information
he "requested", and thus, if any failure in his endeavor occurs, it'll
be his fault, not mine. ;-)

> RayLopez99 will now probably start name-calling and insulting you,
> simply because you are clearly an experienced user.

That is quite possible, and it has happened to me before, both when I
was on C.O.L.A. and when I had already left that group. Sometimes, the
trolls pick up on a reply of mine in a thread that was crossposted -
like this one here - and will then continue to stalk me for an extended
period. At one stage, they even went so far as to set up some
nymshifting bot that posted follow-ups to my posts in which none of the
quoted text attributed to me was actually written by me.

Very mature behavior... <grin>

> This person is only trolling and crossposts to the technical GNU/Linux
> groups to cause maximum disruption.

Yes, we've been seeing a lot of that lately, but for those of us not
subscribed to C.O.L.A., some of the newer nyms the trolls are using are
unknown to us.

> For the sake of the group you are posting from, please killfile the
> troll.

I might eventually end up doing that. ;-)

> Take care ;-)

Likewise. ;-)

--
*Aragorn*
(registered GNU/Linux user #223157)
From: Charlie Wilkes on
On Fri, 02 Apr 2010 23:17:06 +0200, Aragorn wrote:

> Microsoft Windows is also a platform which comes together with a very
> Microsoft-specific way of looking at computer technology - a specific
> way which works in an indoctrinating and conditioning manner due to the
> vendor lock-in and exclusion of non-proprietary software - and
> Microsoft Windows users therefore cannot accept anything of a different
> paradigm. Thus, Microsoft Windows users tend to blame GNU/Linux for
> their own failure at accepting it, while the real problem is situated
> between the keyboard and the chair.

The real problem is that there are gaps in open-source software.

I have been using Ubuntu for a couple of years now. I really like it. I
have gotten so that I like the Gimp as well as Photoshop, I like the Pan
newsreader, etc. But I got one of those flip HD camcorders and discovered I
could not get the output to play smoothly in Ubuntu. Then I got a blu ray
player and discovered that my machine couldn't hack it, but it could almost
keep up in Windows with the coreAVC codec - if I start by ripping the disc
with AnyDVD, for which no freeware or Linux equivalent is available. So I
am building a new machine with Windows 7. It's not my preferred solution,
but I want HD video.
From: Mark Hobley on
Charlie Wilkes <usexpedition(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> Then I got a blu ray player and discovered that my machine couldn't hack it
> but it could almost keep up in Windows with the coreAVC codec

I thought that blu ray discs were protected by DRM. I always say "Don't buy
DRM protected discs". Vendors are not helpful when it comes to making backups
of your discs.

It appears that there is some software called makemkv for Linux, which will
do the trick, but I have not tried it.

Mark.

--
Mark Hobley