From: Norman Peelman on
RayLopez99 wrote:
> On Apr 3, 2:25 pm, Norman Peelman <npeel...(a)cfl.rr.com> wrote:
>> RayLopez99 wrote:
>
>>> The most useful reply--and I did save it for future reference--was the
>>> second post in this thread by Norman, advocating VirtualBox.
>
>> With decent hardware, virtual machines will run at near full speed,
>> specially if the cpu supports them natively (AMD-V, INTEL-V).
>>

> Thanks Norman. I will check out VirtualBox, and saw the screenshots
> for the wizard today--it looked easy. I notice they don't support all
> Linux additions, but all I need is one Linux distro to be supported--
> since my goal is to surf the net under Linux rather than Windows--do
> you think this is possible? I don't see why not.
>
> The advantage of Virtual OS rather than dual boot is (I think) you can
> just click on an icon to switch to Linux rather than cold reboot.
>
> RL

1) You will boot into Windows as normal
2) You will start Virtualbox (or VMWare)
3) You will start your appliance (Linux in this case)
4) You can use either Windows or Linux at the same time as Linux will be
running in a window (or full screen - you can minimize either to get
back to Windows)

The advantage is that you don't have to fool with dual boot AND you
have access to both running operating systems at the same time. You may
need to install the 'guest additions' so that the mouse works between
both in a seamless manner. The guest additions come with and are
installed from the mini menu from with the running guest. You can ask
questions if needed.

As far as Linux distro support... it seams to cover all the major
ones. If you find a distro you want to try, find what it is based on and
use that for your OS choice. If trying one of the *buntus then select
Ubuntu (maybe even Debian which *buntus are based on).

I suggest you try Linux Mint 8, it is based on Ubuntu and has (from
what i've seen so far) a nice interface. You would select Ubuntu under
the OS Choice drop down.

--
Norman
Registered Linux user #461062