From: RayLopez99 on
On Apr 3, 2:25 pm, Norman Peelman <npeel...(a)cfl.rr.com> wrote:
> RayLopez99 wrote:

> > The most useful reply--and I did save it for future reference--was the
> > second post in this thread by Norman, advocating VirtualBox.
>

> With decent hardware, virtual machines will run at near full speed,
> specially if the cpu supports them natively (AMD-V, INTEL-V).

Thanks Norman. I will check out VirtualBox, and saw the screenshots
for the wizard today--it looked easy. I notice they don't support all
Linux additions, but all I need is one Linux distro to be supported--
since my goal is to surf the net under Linux rather than Windows--do
you think this is possible? I don't see why not.

The advantage of Virtual OS rather than dual boot is (I think) you can
just click on an icon to switch to Linux rather than cold reboot.

RL

From: Aragorn on
On Monday 05 April 2010 01:42 in comp.os.linux.hardware, somebody
identifying as Aragorn wrote...

> This has nothing to do with metaphysics at all. Just because you
> don't know of any viruses or worms or trojans being active on your
> machine doesn't mean that they're there.
^
Typo... That should read "[...] doesn't mean they're *not* there."

--
*Aragorn*
(registered GNU/Linux user #223157)
From: chrisv on
Aragorn wrote:

>On Sunday 04 April 2010 13:07 in comp.os.linux.hardware, somebody
>identifying as RayLopez99 wrote...

Good God, there's a lot of people who like to feed worthless trolls.

From: Aragorn on
On Monday 05 April 2010 15:25 in comp.os.linux.hardware, somebody
identifying as chrisv wrote...

> Aragorn wrote:
>
>> On Sunday 04 April 2010 13:07 in comp.os.linux.hardware, somebody
>> identifying as RayLopez99 wrote...
>
> Good God, there's a lot of people who like to feed worthless trolls.

I remember you from when I was still subscribed to C.O.L.A. myself,
Chris, but as you can see, I am replying from C.O.L.H. Therefore, I am
not familiar with any of the troll nyms that have started to occur
after I left C.O.L.A. all these years ago.

Although there was a serious amount of trollbaiting going on in the
original post, I chose to reply because I felt that, for the sake of
the lurkers in the group I'm posting this from, sound advice should be
given, FUD should be rectified, and the intent of the original poster
should be made clear.

In addition, I also feel that many Win-trolls are probably spouting
nonsense because they themselves actually *believe* their own drivel.
If they were paid Microsoft shills, then they'd know that they're lying
through their teeth - Microsoft has or had its own GNU/Linux lab, so
they know very well what's true and what isn't - but it is typically
the Windows addict who writes trollish posts about GNU/Linux because...

(1) they're so afraid of it that they hate it, because they
fear that it'll take over the market and force them to
use something other than Windows; and

(2) they don't know what they're talking about, and they may
have picked up a few nonsensical things from other clueless
Windows fanboys.

I don't feed trolls for fun. I also don't feed trolls so as to disrupt
the newsgroup, and I equally don't feed trolls out of some egotripping,
selfindulging drive, or out of hatred for one or all of these
individuals.

I "feed trolls" - if you can call it that, but I do not, which is why I
put it between quotes - because I want to rectify the misinformation,
both to them and towards the insufficiently aware lurkers and newbies,
onto whom the FUD spread by these trolls could have the very effect
that FUD is intended to have.

My goal is to educate on what's true and what's not true. Nothing else.

From: RayLopez99 on
On Apr 6, 4:03 am, Aragorn <arag...(a)chatfactory.invalid> wrote:
> On Monday 05 April 2010 15:25 in comp.os.linux.hardware, somebody
>
> identifying as chrisv wrote...
> > Aragorn wrote:
>
> >> On Sunday 04 April 2010 13:07 in comp.os.linux.hardware, somebody
> >> identifying as RayLopez99 wrote...
>
> > Good God, there's a lot of people who like to feed worthless trolls.
>
> I remember you from when I was still subscribed to C.O.L.A. myself,
> Chris, but as you can see, I am replying from C.O.L.H.  Therefore, I am
> not familiar with any of the troll nyms that have started to occur
> after I left C.O.L.A. all these years ago.

You did not miss anything. Chrisv is essentially a disrupter of COLA--
he wants conversation to only revolve around his own posts, and they
all have to be happy talk about how great Linux is. Chrisv would do
well in North Korea (which uses Linux in it's "Red Star" OS, says the
news today).

> Although there was a serious amount of trollbaiting going on in the
> original post, I chose to reply because I felt that, for the sake of
> the lurkers in the group I'm posting this from, sound advice should be
> given, FUD should be rectified, and the intent of the original poster
> should be made clear.

And you failed. As I told you, you misread my original post. I am
not booting Linux on an old machine, even 2 years old, but a new
machine to be built. "Norman" have good advice, which you seconded,
on using virtualization.

>         (1) they're so afraid of it that they hate it, because they
>             fear that it'll take over the market and force them to
>             use something other than Windows; and

A just fear.

>         (2) they don't know what they're talking about, and they may
>             have picked up a few nonsensical things from other clueless
>             Windows fanboys.

Some perhaps, but not me.

> I don't feed trolls for fun.  I also don't feed trolls so as to disrupt
> the newsgroup, and I equally don't feed trolls out of some egotripping,
> selfindulging drive, or out of hatred for one or all of these
> individuals.
>
> I "feed trolls" - if you can call it that, but I do not, which is why I
> put it between quotes - because I want to rectify the misinformation,
> both to them and towards the insufficiently aware lurkers and newbies,
> onto whom the FUD spread by these trolls could have the very effect
> that FUD is intended to have.

And you have failed. See above. But thanks for trying anyway.

> My goal is to educate on what's true and what's not true.  Nothing else..
>
> --

Failed is the key phrase.

You did.

But thanks anyway for your response and good luck in your endeavors as
an author, programmer, and whatever else you claim to be.

RL