From: Aragorn on
On Tuesday 06 April 2010 16:17 in comp.os.linux.hardware, somebody
identifying as RayLopez99 wrote...

> On Apr 6, 4:03 am, Aragorn <arag...(a)chatfactory.invalid> wrote:
>
>> On Monday 05 April 2010 15:25 in comp.os.linux.hardware, somebody
>> identifying as chrisv wrote...

>> > Good God, there's a lot of people who like to feed worthless
>> > trolls.
>>
>> I remember you from when I was still subscribed to C.O.L.A. myself,
>> Chris, but as you can see, I am replying from C.O.L.H.  Therefore, I
>> am not familiar with any of the troll nyms that have started to occur
>> after I left C.O.L.A. all these years ago.
>
> You did not miss anything.

Of that I am aware. C.O.L.A. actually has the wrong name. It's
supposed to be a newsgroup for GNU/Linux advocacy, while it has become
the home for rabid Windows advocates instead.

> Chrisv is essentially a disrupter of COLA-- he wants conversation to
> only revolve around his own posts, [...

That is not how I remember him at all.

> ...] and they all have to be happy talk about how great Linux is.

Perhaps because it's supposed to be a GNU/Linux advocacy group? Duh!

> Chrisv would do well in North Korea (which uses Linux in it's "Red
> Star" OS, says the news today).

Yes, North Korea has followed in the footsteps of the People's Republic
of China, who have built their own "Red Flag" distribution. Still,
GNU/Linux advocacy *is* perfectly on-topic for C.O.L.A., so if that is
what ChrisV is doing - and it *is* what I remember him to have been
doing - then he is perfectly within his rights to do so.

>> Although there was a serious amount of trollbaiting going on in the
>> original post, I chose to reply because I felt that, for the sake of
>> the lurkers in the group I'm posting this from, sound advice should
>> be given, FUD should be rectified, and the intent of the original
>> poster should be made clear.
>
> And you failed. As I told you, you misread my original post. I am
> not booting Linux on an old machine, even 2 years old, but a new
> machine to be built.

That was the only mistake I made in my original reply to you. You also
spouted lots of other nonsense on which I set you straight. I don't
see that as failure at all.

>> (1) they're so afraid of it that they hate it, because they
>> fear that it'll take over the market and force them to
>> use something other than Windows; and
>
> A just fear.

I don't see why. GNU/Linux is vastly superior to anything the guys in
Redmond can come up with. As I have told you in my original reply,
GNU/Linux is a UNIX-style operating system, and there is a reason as to
why longstanding IT professionals, engineers, scientists and motion
picture production companies have stuck to UNIX.

Windows only owes its commercial success to very clever and sometimes
outrageously deceptive marketing, and there is a reason as to why it
was pushed this way and this hard by Microsoft. Making money out of it
was only part of that. The real reason is the fact that the
proprietary nature of the Microsoft code subjugates every Windows user
to vendor lock-in and other "intellectual property" strategies. If you
own a Windows computer, then the operating system on it - and all other
Microsoft software you have installed - remains the property of
Microsoft, not *your* property and not at your leisure to do with as
you please.

>> (2) they don't know what they're talking about, and they may
>> have picked up a few nonsensical things from other clueless
>> Windows fanboys.
>
> Some perhaps, but not me.

Oh, I seriously doubt that, given your comment about the lack of web
browsers in GNU/Linux. Unless you know you were lying, of course, and
given that you as a Windows fanboy reside in C.O.L.A. there is a just
suspicion to corroborate that.

>> I don't feed trolls for fun.  I also don't feed trolls so as to
>> disrupt the newsgroup, and I equally don't feed trolls out of some
>> egotripping, selfindulging drive, or out of hatred for one or all of
>> these individuals.
>>
>> I "feed trolls" - if you can call it that, but I do not, which is why
>> I put it between quotes - because I want to rectify the
>> misinformation, both to them and towards the insufficiently aware
>> lurkers and newbies, onto whom the FUD spread by these trolls could
>> have the very effect that FUD is intended to have.
>
> And you have failed.

No, I did not. Just because you keep on repeating it doesn't make it
any less false.

--
*Aragorn*
(registered GNU/Linux user #223157)
From: William Poaster on
Aragorn wrote:

> On Tuesday 06 April 2010 16:17 in comp.os.linux.hardware, somebody
> identifying as RayLopez99 wrote...
>
>> On Apr 6, 4:03�am, Aragorn <arag...(a)chatfactory.invalid> wrote:
>>
>>> On Monday 05 April 2010 15:25 in comp.os.linux.hardware, somebody
>>> identifying as chrisv wrote...

>>> I remember you from when I was still subscribed to C.O.L.A. myself,
>>> Chris, but as you can see, I am replying from C.O.L.H. �Therefore, I
>>> am not familiar with any of the troll nyms that have started to occur
>>> after I left C.O.L.A. all these years ago.
>>
>> You did not miss anything.
>
> Of that I am aware. C.O.L.A. actually has the wrong name. It's
> supposed to be a newsgroup for GNU/Linux advocacy, while it has become
> the home for rabid Windows advocates instead.
>
>> Chrisv is essentially a disrupter of COLA-- he wants conversation to
>> only revolve around his own posts, [...
>
> That is not how I remember him at all.

It isn't. The ones disrupting COLA are the crossposting wintrolls, like the
one you're addressing right now.

>> ...] and they all have to be happy talk about how great Linux is.
>
> Perhaps because it's supposed to be a GNU/Linux advocacy group? Duh!

Something which seems to have escaped the wintroll numbnuts like dopez99.

FYI: In COLA raylopez99 admitted he's a MSFT shareholder.

>> Chrisv would do well in North Korea (which uses Linux in it's "Red
>> Star" OS, says the news today).
>
> Yes, North Korea has followed in the footsteps of the People's Republic
> of China, who have built their own "Red Flag" distribution. Still,
> GNU/Linux advocacy *is* perfectly on-topic for C.O.L.A., so if that is
> what ChrisV is doing - and it *is* what I remember him to have been
> doing - then he is perfectly within his rights to do so.

Of course, but the wintrolls don't like anyone advocating Linux whatever
distro it is.

<huge snip>

>> And you have failed.
>
> No, I did not. Just because you keep on repeating it doesn't make it
> any less false.

The trolls keep repeating their mantras a lot, Dopez99 is no exception.

Here are more of Dopez99 "claims", taken from the thread:
" Please, for the SIXTH time, can somebody recommend a Linux distro for an old
PC?" First posted on July 13th & 14th 2008.
(Notice anything familiar here?)

In that thread Dopez99 admitted it's a troll, claimed it was a millionaire at
30, with an IQ of 140. (yeah, riiiiiiiiiiiight).

So this "genius" claimed to have spent weeks trying to install an OS on an
obsolete machine. the wintroll bitched about the cost of a CD, & is using a
**pirated** version of Vista. (Which he admitted in another thread too).

The wintroll can't burn an ISO properly, because (it says) it was a 700+ MB
Mandriva ISO download & the wintroll was sure it wouldn't fit on a cd. The
troll said it used Nero which proved him right. It obviously did NOT occur
to the clown...err....genius...... to use a DVD-RW, if he was sure it would
not fit on a CD, to try it? At least then, if the download didn't work, he
could re-use the DVD.

An IQ of 140? More like 14.0 IMO.

Nice to see you again, Aragorn, & I always find your posts an interesting
read.

Best wishes to you! :-)

--
Windows free for 11 years!
Kubuntu "Karmic" 9.10 64-bit

From: Aragorn on
On Wednesday 07 April 2010 12:36 in comp.os.linux.hardware, somebody
identifying as William Poaster wrote...

> Aragorn wrote:
>
>> On Tuesday 06 April 2010 16:17 in comp.os.linux.hardware, somebody
>> identifying as RayLopez99 wrote...
>>
>>> Chrisv is essentially a disrupter of COLA-- he wants conversation to
>>> only revolve around his own posts, [...
>>
>> That is not how I remember him at all.
>
> It isn't. The ones disrupting COLA are the crossposting wintrolls,
> like the one you're addressing right now.

Yes, this was becoming obvious to me, especially given the arrogance in
his writing style.

>>> ...] and they all have to be happy talk about how great Linux is.
>>
>> Perhaps because it's supposed to be a GNU/Linux advocacy group? Duh!
>
> Something which seems to have escaped the wintroll numbnuts like
> dopez99.
>
> FYI: In COLA raylopez99 admitted he's a MSFT shareholder.

In which case he has something to gain from spreading FUD about
GNU/Linux, of course. ;-)

>>> Chrisv would do well in North Korea (which uses Linux in it's "Red
>>> Star" OS, says the news today).
>>
>> Yes, North Korea has followed in the footsteps of the People's
>> Republic of China, who have built their own "Red Flag" distribution.
>> Still, GNU/Linux advocacy *is* perfectly on-topic for C.O.L.A., so if
>> that is what ChrisV is doing - and it *is* what I remember him to
>> have been doing - then he is perfectly within his rights to do so.
>
> Of course, but the wintrolls don't like anyone advocating Linux
> whatever distro it is.

True.

>>> And you have failed.
>>
>> No, I did not. Just because you keep on repeating it doesn't make it
>> any less false.
>
> The trolls keep repeating their mantras a lot, Dopez99 is no
> exception.
>
> Here are more of Dopez99 "claims", taken from the thread:
> " Please, for the SIXTH time, can somebody recommend a Linux distro
> for an old PC?" First posted on July 13th & 14th 2008.
> (Notice anything familiar here?)

Yep... ;-)

> In that thread Dopez99 admitted it's a troll, claimed it was a
> millionaire at 30, with an IQ of 140. (yeah, riiiiiiiiiiiight).

Well, he doesn't quite strike me as someone with a high IQ, but rather
as someone with a large ego and strong drive to belittle others. One
does not have to have a high IQ for that, but it *is* typical for
people with a *low* IQ to regard others as being inferior to them. ;-)

> So this "genius" claimed to have spent weeks trying to install an OS
> on an obsolete machine. the wintroll bitched about the cost of a CD, &
> is using a **pirated** version of Vista. (Which he admitted in another
> thread too).

Ah yes, one other thing I remember from my time on C.O.L.A., i.e. the
fact that most of those Wintrolls use *pirated* software instead of
financially supporting their beloved Microsoft Inc. :p

> The wintroll can't burn an ISO properly, because (it says) it was a
> 700+ MB Mandriva ISO download & the wintroll was sure it wouldn't fit
> on a cd. The troll said it used Nero which proved him right. It
> obviously did NOT occur to the clown...err....genius...... to use a
> DVD-RW, if he was sure it would not fit on a CD, to try it? At least
> then, if the download didn't work, he could re-use the DVD.
>
> An IQ of 140? More like 14.0 IMO.

Now now, you are being too hard on him. 75 is more like it. :p

> Nice to see you again, Aragorn, & I always find your posts an
> interesting read.

Nice to see you too, William - I still remember you from my C.O.L.A.
days as well, and I have seen you reply to the trolls here before as
well. ;-)

> Best wishes to you! :-)

And to you, old friend! :-)

From: William Poaster on
Aragorn wrote:

> On Wednesday 07 April 2010 12:36 in comp.os.linux.hardware, somebody
> identifying as William Poaster wrote...
>
>> Aragorn wrote:
>>
>>> On Tuesday 06 April 2010 16:17 in comp.os.linux.hardware, somebody
>>> identifying as RayLopez99 wrote...

>>> That is not how I remember him at all.
>>
>> It isn't. The ones disrupting COLA are the crossposting wintrolls,
>> like the one you're addressing right now.
>
> Yes, this was becoming obvious to me, especially given the arrogance in
> his writing style.

>>> Perhaps because it's supposed to be a GNU/Linux advocacy group? Duh!
>>
>> Something which seems to have escaped the wintroll numbnuts like
>> dopez99.
>>
>> FYI: In COLA raylopez99 admitted he's a MSFT shareholder.
>
> In which case he has something to gain from spreading FUD about
> GNU/Linux, of course. ;-)

Yup! So his credibility about whatever he says about, or claims to be doing
with, Linux is somewhat "tainted".

>>> Yes, North Korea has followed in the footsteps of the People's
>>> Republic of China, who have built their own "Red Flag" distribution.
>>> Still, GNU/Linux advocacy *is* perfectly on-topic for C.O.L.A., so if
>>> that is what ChrisV is doing - and it *is* what I remember him to
>>> have been doing - then he is perfectly within his rights to do so.
>>
>> Of course, but the wintrolls don't like anyone advocating Linux
>> whatever distro it is.
>
> True.

>>> No, I did not. Just because you keep on repeating it doesn't make it
>>> any less false.
>>
>> The trolls keep repeating their mantras a lot, Dopez99 is no
>> exception.
>>
>> Here are more of Dopez99 "claims", taken from the thread:
>> " Please, for the SIXTH time, can somebody recommend a Linux distro
>> for an old PC?" First posted on July 13th & 14th 2008.
>> (Notice anything familiar here?)
>
> Yep... ;-)

Heh! Thought so, & IIRC he repeated that same question about eight times.

>> In that thread Dopez99 admitted it's a troll, claimed it was a
>> millionaire at 30, with an IQ of 140. (yeah, riiiiiiiiiiiight).
>
> Well, he doesn't quite strike me as someone with a high IQ, but rather
> as someone with a large ego and strong drive to belittle others. One
> does not have to have a high IQ for that, but it *is* typical for
> people with a *low* IQ to regard others as being inferior to them. ;-)

Indeed. I've seen a few trolls like that in COLA. "Hadron" being one of them,
who gets quite nasty when anyone actually knows more about Linux than him.
He made *so* many mistakes about his "claims" of using Linux, that hardly
any *real* Linux users believed him. Couldn't even keep his story straight
about when he supposedly started using the OS either.
Quoting his own gaffes back at him, was quite fun sometimes. Got him frothing.
;-) You wouldn't want him as a witness in court!

>> So this "genius" claimed to have spent weeks trying to install an OS
>> on an obsolete machine. the wintroll bitched about the cost of a CD, &
>> is using a **pirated** version of Vista. (Which he admitted in another
>> thread too).
>
> Ah yes, one other thing I remember from my time on C.O.L.A., i.e. the
> fact that most of those Wintrolls use *pirated* software instead of
> financially supporting their beloved Microsoft Inc. :p

The Flatfish troll was another, IIRC.

>> The wintroll can't burn an ISO properly, because (it says) it was a
>> 700+ MB Mandriva ISO download & the wintroll was sure it wouldn't fit
>> on a cd. The troll said it used Nero which proved him right. It
>> obviously did NOT occur to the clown...err....genius...... to use a
>> DVD-RW, if he was sure it would not fit on a CD, to try it? At least
>> then, if the download didn't work, he could re-use the DVD.
>>
>> An IQ of 140? More like 14.0 IMO.
>
> Now now, you are being too hard on him. 75 is more like it. :p

Hm....well I've often seen it said, that it takes someone with an IQ at or
about room temperature to install Linux, & given Dopez99's "problems"..... you
*sure* about 75? <grin>

>> Nice to see you again, Aragorn, & I always find your posts an
>> interesting read.
>
> Nice to see you too, William - I still remember you from my C.O.L.A.
> days as well, and I have seen you reply to the trolls here before as
> well. ;-)

Well I don't often reply directly to trolls, but more or less backing up
someone else who has, & sometimes quoting what the troll had said before.
They often trip themselves up, at some point.

>> Best wishes to you! :-)
>
> And to you, old friend! :-)

:-)

From: RayLopez99 on
On Apr 7, 5:19 pm, B Sellers <bl...(a)sfo.com> wrote:
>         You ignore the newbies who drop in for information about
> the systems.  To them he sounds halfway reasonable,

I am reasonable. I cite my works, unlike chrisv, who is all opinion.

I deal in logic, unlike my opponents who just name call.

RL