From: Dan on
Hi,
Thanks for all your replies. It's great news that SQL Server on Web Edition
allow network connection.

I think I am guilty of not explaining myself very well.

My plan was to enable port 80 and 443 requests to the web server from the
outside (internet) on my external facing firewall. All other port would be
blocked
We would then allow an Internal client (intranet) to connect to the SQL
Server port on the web server - whcih would allow us to copy/update a limited
section of records from our main internal database. Hence the reason for
asking about direct connection to the SQL database. Is this still a bad plan?

From: "Mr. Arnold" MR. on

> Hi,
> Thanks for all your replies. It's great news that SQL Server on Web
> Edition
> allow network connection.
>
> I think I am guilty of not explaining myself very well.
>
> My plan was to enable port 80 and 443 requests to the web server from the
> outside (internet) on my external facing firewall. All other port would be
> blocked
> We would then allow an Internal client (intranet) to connect to the SQL
> Server port on the web server - whcih would allow us to copy/update a
> limited
> section of records from our main internal database. Hence the reason for
> asking about direct connection to the SQL database. Is this still a bad
> plan?

If the SQL server port is behind the FW and you're talking about an Intranet
client, then you should be ok. But you should post your questions to the NG
'comp.security.firewalls' to people who work with network security and such,
as they can answer your questions about any possible risks you may be
facing.

You may need to look into using a VPN (Virtual Private Network) with your
clients. Post to the NG I am suggesting to you and ask them.