From: Rick on
The client is having some lag problems with Remote access to a application
Server 2003 R2. When clients log in and in some cases when printing, the
other users either slow way down or become totally unresponsive.

I bought a Mushkin 128gb SSD drive and want to install it in the backup
server as a test to see if the faster drive access makes any difference. At
the same time they would upgrade to Server 2008 (R2?).

The drive would have the OS, a Firebird database server and the program
files they use. Client count is probably < 10.

I am wondering which drive controller to use for 64 bit OS and if anyone can
tell me if a server is going to respond like a client with an SSD drive -
i.e. MUCH faster disk access.

Thanks,

Rick

From: Meinolf Weber [MVP-DS] on
Hello Rick,

At the moment i can think of the harddisk as the problem. Check the event
viewer on the server when it happens, is the server also the print server
or is there a separate machine?

Best regards

Meinolf Weber
no rights.

From: Grant Taylor on
On 06/14/10 14:14, Rick wrote:
> The client is having some lag problems with Remote access to a
> application Server 2003 R2. When clients log in and in some cases
> when printing, the other users either slow way down or become totally
> unresponsive.

Based purely on the above statement, I'm going to hazard a guess and say
that the problem has nothing to do with the disk and has everything to
do with the "remote" part of your description.

Based on the fact that users are printing while using a remote
connection I'm guessing that said application server is on the other
side of some sort of internet connection. With this in mind I question
if the printing, or transferring of files as part of profile login, is
saturating the internet connection. I know for a fact that (depending
on the type of printer and language it uses) a simple "This is a print
test page." type document being printed will generate multiple megabytes
of data to be sent to the printer. So, if someone is printing a
multiple page report from the remote server back to a local printer, the
connection could literally be busy with all the data being sent to the
printer.

With this in mind, I'd investigate the type and amount of network
traffic before even considering pursuing a solid state drive.

Grant. . . .