From: Flavio Matani on
Chris Ridd <chrisridd(a)mac.com> wrote:

> On 2010-07-24 03:55:24 +0100, Rob said:

> >> FWIW running /System/Library/CoreServices/pbs fixed it.
> >>

> > Mmmm - appears broken for me. Only a couple of Finder-related services
> appear.
>
> That might be correct - what appears depends on what's selected, and
> what you've disabled in that menu. A working services menu also has a
> Services Preferences item at the bottom which lets you disable stuff.
>
> > Tried double clicking that file and nothing changed. Any other ideas
> > appreciated!
>
> I ran that command from the terminal. I don't think you can run Unix
> executables by double-clicking them.

I double clicked it and it opened up in Terminal.

--
flavio matani
guitar tuition
From: Peter Ceresole on
Rob <ngonly(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> I think part of the thing is I've never used/understood Services a great
> deal. Now I see what's there I can see how useful it might be.

I agree.

I never used it in the past, and now I look, none of it seems to work.
So no great matter...
--
Peter
From: Chris Ridd on
On 2010-07-24 11:12:45 +0100, Rob said:

> On 24/07/2010 06:45, Chris Ridd wrote:

>>> Mmmm - appears broken for me. Only a couple of Finder-related services
>>> appear.
>>
>> That might be correct - what appears depends on what's selected, and
>> what you've disabled in that menu. A working services menu also has a
>> Services Preferences item at the bottom which lets you disable stuff.
>>

> OK, sorry to be thick, all I've noticed is that a bunch of services
> that used to be associated with most applications are no longer
> appearing in the Services menu.
>
> For example, in Thunderbird, if I select text from this message, then
> access the Services menu, nothing appears except 'No Services Apply'
> (greyed out) and Services preferences . . . If I select Services
> Preferecnes/Services, a wide range of Services are selected, including
> the one I want - New Email with Selection.

Thunderbird doesn't know about Services, so its Services menu might
remain forever blank.

All Cocoa apps understand services (unless they try hard not to) so try
using something like Pages, TextEdit, etc etc.

> Restoring Defaults and selecting/deselcting services makes no
> difference. Selecting '+' simply adds an application shortcut - not
> what I want.
>
> Do you know how I would associate say Finder with a Service? Say, Show
> Info, which is selected in Sys Prefs/Services/Keyboard Shortcuts?

You've got it the wrong way around! Applications advertise their
ability to provide a service, given some kind of input. The services
menu will list all the compatible services available, depending on what
you have currently selected.

In the Sys Prefs pane you mentioned, there's a way of stopping
particular services being advertised. Perhaps you don't need to convert
Selected Simplified Chinese :-)

> Is the command sent from the user directory just: open
> /System/Library/CoreServices/pbs ?

No, literally just type /System/Library/CoreServices/pbs and press return.

> This returns: No languages specified - assuming English.

That's what it prints here too, then it goes and rebuilds the services
menu and finishes.

> Apple Help isn't much and curiously, exactly the same thing is
> happening on my other Mac.
>
> I think part of the thing is I've never used/understood Services a
> great deal. Now I see what's there I can see how useful it might be.

They're a hidden gem. For instance if you have Xcode installed,
different services let you look up what you've selected in the Intel
assembler reference docs.

--
Chris

From: Flavio Matani on
Chris Ridd <chrisridd(a)mac.com> wrote:

> On 2010-07-24 11:12:45 +0100, Rob said:

<snip>

> > OK, sorry to be thick, all I've noticed is that a bunch of services
> > that used to be associated with most applications are no longer
> > appearing in the Services menu.

<more snip>

> Thunderbird doesn't know about Services, so its Services menu might
> remain forever blank.
>
> All Cocoa apps understand services (unless they try hard not to) so try
> using something like Pages, TextEdit, etc etc.
>
> > Restoring Defaults and selecting/deselcting services makes no
> > difference. Selecting '+' simply adds an application shortcut - not
> > what I want.
> >
> > Do you know how I would associate say Finder with a Service? Say, Show
> > Info, which is selected in Sys Prefs/Services/Keyboard Shortcuts?
>
> You've got it the wrong way around! Applications advertise their
> ability to provide a service, given some kind of input. The services
> menu will list all the compatible services available, depending on what
> you have currently selected.
>
> In the Sys Prefs pane you mentioned, there's a way of stopping
> particular services being advertised. Perhaps you don't need to convert
> Selected Simplified Chinese :-)
>
> > Is the command sent from the user directory just: open
> > /System/Library/CoreServices/pbs ?
>
> No, literally just type /System/Library/CoreServices/pbs and press return.
>
> > This returns: No languages specified - assuming English.
>
> That's what it prints here too, then it goes and rebuilds the services
> menu and finishes.
>
> > Apple Help isn't much and curiously, exactly the same thing is
> > happening on my other Mac.
> >
> > I think part of the thing is I've never used/understood Services a
> > great deal. Now I see what's there I can see how useful it might be.
>
> They're a hidden gem. For instance if you have Xcode installed,
> different services let you look up what you've selected in the Intel
> assembler reference docs.

I agree. I use the Services menu absolutely all the time,, instead of
the clipboard when I have to email part of a lesson report to one of my
guitar vict- er, pupils, or anything else, or save part of a web page or
another document some place where I can sort it and retrieve it later
-like DevonNote-, etc etc.... without using up whatever I may have in
the clipboard, etc.

It did take me a long time, maybe a couple of years, before I discovered
it was there and it actually was very useful.

--
flavio matani
guitar tuition