From: Shreyas on
PHP'ers,

Please do not curse me for this.

I am having a tough time to get this up and running. Can someone point me to
a document which will help me do configure so that I can start learning and
working on PHP ASAP? Please. I have attached the files under consideration.

Here is my details :

MySQL - 5.x

Apache - apache_2.2.4-win32-x86-no_ssl.msi

PHP base - C:\PHP

Regards,
Shreyas
From: Ashley Sheridan on
On Tue, 2010-06-01 at 21:47 +0530, Shreyas wrote:

> PHP'ers,
>

> Please do not curse me for this.
>

> I am having a tough time to get this up and running. Can someone point
> me to a document which will help me do configure so that I can start
> learning and working on PHP ASAP? Please. I have attached the files
> under consideration.
>

> Here is my details :
>

> MySQL - 5.x
>

> Apache - apache_2.2.4-win32-x86-no_ssl.msi
>

> PHP base - C:\PHP
>

> Regards,
> Shreyas

Rather than install the separate components have you looked at a
pre-built stack? A lot of people swear by the WAMP install on Windows.
For my own experience on Windows, I've found EasyPHP to be an absolute
doddle to use, and can have you up and running with all the modules you
need within minutes.

Thanks,
Ash
http://www.ashleysheridan.co.uk

From: Shreyas on
Ash,

Thanks for the quick reply. I am downloading Easyphp 3.0 right now and see
how it goes. But just to understand how this all works, will it work with
Eclipse, too? I am using Ganymede.

Regards,
Shreyas

--
Regards,
Shreyas
From: Ashley Sheridan on
On Tue, 2010-06-01 at 22:02 +0530, Shreyas wrote:

> Ash,
>
> Thanks for the quick reply. I am downloading Easyphp 3.0 right now and see
> how it goes. But just to understand how this all works, will it work with
> Eclipse, too? I am using Ganymede.
>

> Regards,
> Shreyas
>
> On Tue, Jun 1, 2010 at 9:55 PM, Ashley Sheridan <ash(a)ashleysheridan.co.uk>wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 2010-06-01 at 21:47 +0530, Shreyas wrote:
> >
> > PHP'ers,
> >

> > Please do not curse me for this.
> >

> > I am having a tough time to get this up and running. Can someone point me
> > to a document which will help me do configure so that I can start learning
> > and working on PHP ASAP? Please. I have attached the files under
> > consideration.
> >

> > Here is my details :
> >

> > MySQL - 5.x
> >

> > Apache - apache_2.2.4-win32-x86-no_ssl.msi
> >

> > PHP base - C:\PHP
> >

> > Regards,
> > Shreyas
> >
> > --
> >

> > Rather than install the separate components have you looked at a pre-built
> > stack? A lot of people swear by the WAMP install on Windows. For my own
> > experience on Windows, I've found EasyPHP to be an absolute doddle to use,
> > and can have you up and running with all the modules you need within
> > minutes.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Ash
> > http://www.ashleysheridan.co.uk

The editor you use won't matter. EasyPHP installs Apache, MySQL and PHP
in one install, and gets it all working together easily on Windows.

From: Ashley Sheridan on
On Tue, 2010-06-01 at 22:24 +0530, Shreyas wrote:

> I did and I miserably failed. I feel like giving up on learning PHP
> now with all these set-up now. Aaah!
>

> I have uninstalled MySQL now and trying to see how it goes.
>

> ---Shreyas
>

> On Tue, Jun 1, 2010 at 10:16 PM, Ashley Sheridan
> <ash(a)ashleysheridan.co.uk> wrote:
>

> On Tue, 2010-06-01 at 22:13 +0530, Shreyas wrote:
>
> > Got it! I already have MySQL and Apache installed for
> > another Java project and now it tells me certain ports are
> > used. Where can I look up for answers like these?
> >

> > --Shreyas
> >
> > On Tue, Jun 1, 2010 at 10:10 PM, Ashley Sheridan
> > <ash(a)ashleysheridan.co.uk> wrote:
> >

> > On Tue, 2010-06-01 at 22:02 +0530, Shreyas wrote:
> >
> > > Ash,
> > >
> > > Thanks for the quick reply. I am downloading Easyphp 3.0 right now and see
> > > how it goes. But just to understand how this all works, will it work with
> > > Eclipse, too? I am using Ganymede.
> > >

> > > Regards,
> > > Shreyas

> > The editor you use won't matter. EasyPHP installs
> > Apache, MySQL and PHP in one install, and gets it
> > all working together easily on Windows.
> >

> > Thanks,
> > Ash
> > http://www.ashleysheridan.co.uk
> >

> > --
> > Regards,
> > Shreyas
> >

> The install should allow you to choose different ports, but as
> you already have Apache and MySQL installed, have you looked
> to download the PHP Windows installation file from php.net and
> run that? It should let you attach it to an existing Apache
> install, although I'm not familiar with installing PHP this
> way on a Windows machine.
>

> Thanks,
> Ash
> http://www.ashleysheridan.co.uk
>

> --
> Regards,
> Shreyas

I'm not so good with diagnosing Windows problems these days, haven't
used it seriously for a few years now, maybe someone else on the list
can help?