From: Xeno Campanoli / Eskimo North and Gmail on
Jason Roelofs wrote:

root(a)rockhopper:~# gem install rvm

In order to setup rvm for your user's environment you must now run rvm-install.
rvm-install will be found in your current gems bin directory corresponding to
where the gem was installed.

rvm-install will install the scripts to your user account and append itself
to your profiles in order to
inject the proper rvm functions into your shell so that you can manage
multiple rubies.

Successfully installed rvm-0.1.27
1 gem installed
Installing ri documentation for rvm-0.1.27...
Installing RDoc documentation for rvm-0.1.27...
root(a)rockhopper:~# rvm install 1.9.1
No command 'rvm' found, but there are 20 similar ones
rvm: command not found
root(a)rockhopper:~# which rvm
root(a)rockhopper:~#

--
"It's the preponderance, stupid!" - Professor Stephen Schneider, IPCC member

From: Jason Roelofs on
You didn't follow the instructions I gave and the block of text there gave you.

rvm-install

And there will be some bash commands to add to your .bashrc as well, which rvm-install gives you.

Jason

From: Walton Hoops on
On 4/30/2010 2:36 PM, Xeno Campanoli / Eskimo North and Gmail wrote:
> Jason Roelofs wrote:
>
> root(a)rockhopper:~# gem install rvm
>

> In order to setup rvm for your user's environment you must now run
> rvm-install.
> rvm-install will be found in your current gems bin directory
> corresponding to where the gem was installed.
>
> rvm-install will install the scripts to your user account and append
> itself to your profiles in order to
> inject the proper rvm functions into your shell so that you can
> manage multiple rubies.

> Successfully installed rvm-0.1.27
> 1 gem installed
> Installing ri documentation for rvm-0.1.27...
> Installing RDoc documentation for rvm-0.1.27...
> root(a)rockhopper:~# rvm install 1.9.1
> No command 'rvm' found, but there are 20 similar ones
> rvm: command not found
> root(a)rockhopper:~# which rvm
> root(a)rockhopper:~#

This is because the location that Debian/Ubuntu's version of rubygems
puts gem executable is not in your path by default, one of many problems
you avoid if you install from source. I don't recall where Debian dumps
them off the top of my head, but I'll check when I get home. That said,
I _highly_ recommend installing from source instead of using Ubuntu's
version. You avoid several headaches that way.

From: Xeno Campanoli / Eskimo North and Gmail on
Jason Roelofs wrote:

Sorry man. The more I play with this thing, the less comfortable I feel about
it. If I had time to help with it, I would be glad to. Not today.

Sincerely, Xeno

From: Walton Hoops on
On 4/30/2010 2:22 PM, Xeno Campanoli / Eskimo North and Gmail wrote:
> Walton Hoops wrote:
>> On 4/30/2010 1:36 PM, Xeno Campanoli / Eskimo North and Gmail wrote:
>>> I tried installing a bunch of ruby 1.9 stuff on my Ubuntu laptop last
>>> night, but my default ruby is still 1.8.7. Anybody know a regular
>>> method for setting to 1.9 on Ubuntu? Perhaps this is an Ubuntu
>>> question, but presumably the best way is not always the Ubuntu
>>> way...???
>> The Ubuntu way is to run 'sudo update-alternatives --config ruby' and
>> 'sudo update-alternatives --config rubygems', or instead of calling Ruby
>> scripts with 'ruby', call them with 'ruby1.9' when you want them run
>> in 1.9.
>>
>> Another solution that is available is Ruby Version Manager (RVM). I've
>> never used RVM, so I can't say anything for or against it.
>> http://rvm.beginrescueend.com/
>>

> Thank you. That didn't get me there, but I really appreciate the
> quick response, and that actually helps me in some other areas.
>
> I got this:
>
> root(a)rockhopper:~# update-alternatives --config ruby
> update-alternatives: error: no alternatives for ruby.
> root(a)rockhopper:~# update-alternatives --config rubygems
> update-alternatives: error: no alternatives for rubygems.
> root(a)rockhopper:~#
>
> rvm in that guise is not on my apt purvey. I appreciate the
> suggestions. Perhaps if it's this hard it's better to wait for the OSs
> to upgrade themselves anyway. I just noticed the CentOS we use is way
> back to ruby 1.8.5. I sure hope we stop using CentOS soon. It is a
> dog, and wastes a lot of our time. Debian family stuff has it's
> problems, but for my work it seems to always come out as superior.

Ugh. I just assumed that Ruby would be managed through the
alternatives. This is why I run from source.

The lazy man's solution to your problem is to simply change the symbolic
link 'ruby' in /usr/bin to point to 'ruby1.9' instead of 'ruby1.8' (the
same would need to be done for rubygems. Make sense?