From: Jonathan Nielsen on
Try 'sudo gem install rvm'

This will put the rvm-install in your path.

-Jonathan Nielsen

From: Xeno Campanoli / Eskimo North and Gmail on
Walton Hoops wrote:
> On 4/30/2010 2:36 PM, Xeno Campanoli / Eskimo North and Gmail wrote:
>> Jason Roelofs wrote:
>>
>> root(a)rockhopper:~# gem install rvm
>> ********************************************************************************
>>

>> In order to setup rvm for your user's environment you must now run
>> rvm-install.
>> rvm-install will be found in your current gems bin directory
>> corresponding to where the gem was installed.
>>
>> rvm-install will install the scripts to your user account and append
>> itself to your profiles in order to
>> inject the proper rvm functions into your shell so that you can
>> manage multiple rubies.
>>
>> ********************************************************************************
>>
>> Successfully installed rvm-0.1.27
>> 1 gem installed
>> Installing ri documentation for rvm-0.1.27...
>> Installing RDoc documentation for rvm-0.1.27...
>> root(a)rockhopper:~# rvm install 1.9.1
>> No command 'rvm' found, but there are 20 similar ones
>> rvm: command not found
>> root(a)rockhopper:~# which rvm
>> root(a)rockhopper:~#
>>

> This is because the location that Debian/Ubuntu's version of rubygems
> puts gem executable is not in your path by default, one of many problems
> you avoid if you install from source. I don't recall where Debian dumps
> them off the top of my head, but I'll check when I get home. That said,
> I _highly_ recommend installing from source instead of using Ubuntu's
> version. You avoid several headaches that way.

Yes, you know in some settings I really want to stay with a simple set of
repeatable and well known standards. I need to wait on 1.9 I think until it
actually 'comes out' for this project. Thanks again.

--
"It's the preponderance, stupid!" - Professor Stephen Schneider, IPCC member

From: Walton Hoops on
On 4/30/2010 3:42 PM, Jonathan Nielsen wrote:
> Try 'sudo gem install rvm'
>
> This will put the rvm-install in your path.
>
> -Jonathan Nielsen

No it won't, he's installed the Debian version of rubygems, which puts
the gem executables in /var/lib/gems/<version>/bin, which is not in the
default path. It can, however be added by putting:

export PATH=/var/lib/gems/1.8/bin:$PATH
at the end of ~./bashrc

From: Jonathan Nielsen on

> No it won't, he's installed the Debian version of rubygems, which puts
> the gem executables in /var/lib/gems/<version>/bin, which is not in the
> default path. It can, however be added by putting:
>
> export PATH=/var/lib/gems/1.8/bin:$PATH
> at the end of ~./bashrc

Well, that's precisely what I did on mine to install rvm atop Ubuntu's
ruby+rubygems, and it put rvm-install in /usr/bin... on Ubuntu 9.10 at
least.

That's all I use the Ubuntu packaged ruby for - installing rvm so I
can mess around with different ruby versions :)

-Jonathan Nielsen

From: Ken Bloom on
On Sat, 01 May 2010 05:22:17 +0900, Xeno Campanoli / Eskimo North and
Gmail wrote:

> Walton Hoops wrote:
>> On 4/30/2010 1:36 PM, Xeno Campanoli / Eskimo North and Gmail wrote:
>>> I tried installing a bunch of ruby 1.9 stuff on my Ubuntu laptop last
>>> night, but my default ruby is still 1.8.7. Anybody know a regular
>>> method for setting to 1.9 on Ubuntu? Perhaps this is an Ubuntu
>>> question, but presumably the best way is not always the Ubuntu
>>> way...???
>> The Ubuntu way is to run 'sudo update-alternatives --config ruby' and
>> 'sudo update-alternatives --config rubygems', or instead of calling
>> Ruby scripts with 'ruby', call them with 'ruby1.9' when you want them
>> run in 1.9.
>>
>> Another solution that is available is Ruby Version Manager (RVM). I've
>> never used RVM, so I can't say anything for or against it.
>> http://rvm.beginrescueend.com/
>>

> Thank you. That didn't get me there, but I really appreciate the quick
> response, and that actually helps me in some other areas.
>
> I got this:
>
> root(a)rockhopper:~# update-alternatives --config ruby
> update-alternatives: error: no alternatives for ruby. root(a)rockhopper:~#
> update-alternatives --config rubygems update-alternatives: error: no
> alternatives for rubygems. root(a)rockhopper:~#
>
> rvm in that guise is not on my apt purvey. I appreciate the
> suggestions. Perhaps if it's this hard it's better to wait for the OSs
> to upgrade themselves anyway. I just noticed the CentOS we use is way
> back to ruby 1.8.5. I sure hope we stop using CentOS soon. It is a
> dog, and wastes a lot of our time. Debian family stuff has it's
> problems, but for my work it seems to always come out as superior.

Ubuntu (and most other distributions) believe in having a default version
of the language, so it isn't a matter of guesswork to know which version
of Ruby is the default. As such, interpreted language versions aren't
managed by the alternatives system. At some time in the future, they'll
change the default to 1.9.x (after having a well-planned migration, and
an understanding that 1.9.x is the preffered alternative in the
community), but in the mean time you need to specify that you want ruby
1.9.1 by using ruby1.9.1 as your shebang, and by typing the version on
the command line.

(They treat gcc and python similarly. Perl 5's compatibility is so set in
stone at this point that it doesn't need alternative versions on the same
system, so the current version is always the default.)

http://www.iit.edu/~kbloom1/