From: Gaiseric Vandal on
smb.conf will list where samba searches in ldap.

e.g.

ldap suffix=o=abc.com
ldap user suffix=ou=employees,ou=people
ldap group suffix = ou=groups
ldap machine suffix=ou=machines,ou=people

I think the main challenge will be configuring access control lists.
If you have a server you only want accessed by employees, you would set
the "ldap user suffix" parameter in smb.conf appropriately.

But in terms of an address book, if someone has an LDAP address book
client (e.g. thunderbird) you can't prevent them from trying to
recursively query "ou=people,....) vs "ou=students." You can advise
end users whether they should set up two LDAP address books (students
vs employees) rather than one top level "people" one. From the end
user pespective, a single LDAP directory will probably be simpler.

So you would need to set ACL's to restrict access to "ou=other" OR to
restrict access to "ou=people" and then grant it back to "ou=employees"
and "ou=students." You also want to make sure that certain fields
(passwd) are restricted so that only "administrator" accounts can access
them. You can also configure whether anonymous users can access certain
information or not (e.g. names and phone numbers.)

I use Sun's directory server as an LDAP backend. I suspect most samba
users are using OpenLDAP. I also suspect that LDAP attributes may
not be restricted by default as much as they should be.

On Mon, Mar 08, 2010 at 11:04:42AM -0500, Gaiseric Vandal wrote:
> But in terms of an address book, if someone has an LDAP address book
> client (e.g. thunderbird) you can't prevent them from trying to
> recursively query "ou=people,....) vs "ou=students." You can advise
> end users whether they should set up two LDAP address books (students
> vs employees) rather than one top level "people" one. From the end
> user pespective, a single LDAP directory will probably be simpler.
>

> So you would need to set ACL's to restrict access to "ou=other" OR to
> restrict access to "ou=people" and then grant it back to "ou=employees"
> and "ou=students." You also want to make sure that certain fields
> (passwd) are restricted so that only "administrator" accounts can access
> them. You can also configure whether anonymous users can access certain
> information or not (e.g. names and phone numbers.)
>
> I use Sun's directory server as an LDAP backend. I suspect most samba
> users are using OpenLDAP. I also suspect that LDAP attributes may
> not be restricted by default as much as they should be.

I've never gotten around to actually setting up LDAP anywhere, though
I've looked at it several times. Each time I do, I come away from it
feeling that LDAP suffers badly from "The wonderful thing about
standards is that there's so many to choose from". It seems it's so
open-ended, and there are so many possible ways to set up a directory,
that it becomes difficult to find any two LDAP-aware applications that
actually use (and expect to see) the same LDAP schema.

How does one overcome this?

--
Phil Stracchino, CDK#2 DoD#299792458 ICBM: 43.5607, -71.355
alaric(a)caerllewys.net alaric(a)metrocast.net phil(a)co.ordinate.org
Hi,

the ACLs are indeed one of the importent topics. Therefore I was hoping,
that samba searches sub-trees for the login and auth information.

Than I could set up LDAP ACLs so samba looks up all information in the
tree for all groups (we do have only one fileserver for all user groups
togehter) and other ACLs "handel" the access for phonebook lookups from
the mailclients.

That is what I was thinking off.

But if samba only browses one tree level and not the sub levels, than I
do have to think in an other direction.

Or what do you think?

Thanks and best regards,

Götz

--
Götz Reinicke
IT-Koordinator

Tel. +49 7141 969 420
Fax +49 7141 969 55 420
E-Mail goetz.reinicke(a)filmakademie.de

Filmakademie Baden-Württemberg GmbH
Akademiehof 10
71638 Ludwigsburg
www.filmakademie.de

Eintragung Amtsgericht Stuttgart HRB 205016
Vorsitzende des Aufsichtsrats:
Prof. Dr. Claudia Hübner
Staatsrätin für Demographischen Wandel und für Senioren im Staatsministerium

Geschäftsführer:
Prof. Thomas Schadt
On Mon, 2010-03-08 at 11:04 -0500, Gaiseric Vandal wrote:
> smb.conf will list where samba searches in ldap.
> ldap suffix=o=abc.com
> ldap user suffix=ou=employees,ou=people
> ldap group suffix = ou=groups
> ldap machine suffix=ou=machines,ou=people
> I think the main challenge will be configuring access control lists.
> If you have a server you only want accessed by employees, you would set
> the "ldap user suffix" parameter in smb.conf appropriately.

We've parented all of Samba related 'stuff' under ou=SAM,$BASE, so we
have

ou=SAM,$BASE
ou=Entities,ou=SAM,$BASE
ou=People,ou=Entities,ou=SAM,$BASE
ou=System Account,ou=Entities,ou=SAM,$BASE
ou=Groups,ou=SAM,$BASE

Because very different ACLs typically apply to these three types of
objects (users, system accounts, and groups)

> But in terms of an address book, if someone has an LDAP address book
> client (e.g. thunderbird) you can't prevent them from trying to
> recursively query "ou=people,....) vs "ou=students." You can advise
> end users whether they should set up two LDAP address books (students
> vs employees) rather than one top level "people" one. From the end
> user pespective, a single LDAP directory will probably be simpler.

True; or all non-related entries can simply be hidden from the clients.
Or, the simplest solution, is it use a virtual root to 'glob' any
objects [and just the specific attributes] that an addressbook consumer
would want to see. OpenLDAP provides excellent support for
partitioning, federating, and creating virtual (remapped) partitions.

Aside: Although in the end I think you'll find LDAP makes a very crappy
addressbook soluton.

> I also suspect that LDAP attributes may
> not be restricted by default as much as they should be.

Yep; you'll find most sites [in-my-experience] to have severely
neglected the confguration of their DSA once they reach got-it-working
status.

On Wed, 2010-03-10 at 08:38 +0100, Götz Reinicke - IT-Koordinator wrote:
> Adam Tauno Williams schrieb:
> > On Mon, 2010-03-08 at 11:04 -0500, Gaiseric Vandal wrote:
> >> But in terms of an address book, if someone has an LDAP address book
> >> client (e.g. thunderbird) you can't prevent them from trying to
> >> recursively query "ou=people,....) vs "ou=students." You can advise
> >> end users whether they should set up two LDAP address books (students
> >> vs employees) rather than one top level "people" one. From the end
> >> user pespective, a single LDAP directory will probably be simpler.
> > True; or all non-related entries can simply be hidden from the clients.
> > Or, the simplest solution, is it use a virtual root to 'glob' any
> > objects [and just the specific attributes] that an addressbook consumer
> > would want to see. OpenLDAP provides excellent support for
> > partitioning, federating, and creating virtual (remapped) partitions.
> So I may have one branch with the DNs of users with there IDs,
> passwords, ... and one partition for the phonebook entries:
> dn: ou=People,dc=example,dc=com

I'd recommend sub-rooting everything Samba needs to see; and not using
the [dreadful IMO] ou=People,$ROOT, ou=Groups,$ROOT design.

> dn: ou=Phonebook,dc=example,dc=com

You certainly can do that.

> > Aside: Although in the end I think you'll find LDAP makes a very crappy
> > addressbook soluton.
> Why that? For us e.g the purpose of the addressbook is to have name and
> e-mail-address available; postal Address, phonenumber etc should not be
> in our directory.

(a) No client but Evolution supports write access. This shortly equals
unhappy users.
(b) Clients blithely ignore schema rules [for example "mail" is
multi-valued]
(c) How clients map attributes to fields varies widely [and who ever
wrote the Mozilla addressbook's LDAP support was using hard-drugs at the
time]

If you really want nothing more than to expose e-mail addresses it works
reasonably well. It is pretty terrible once you go beyond that.

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2
Prev: [Samba] error today
Next: [Samba] Time stamps