From: Sheldon on
Hello -

A colleague of mine is arguing we should use Windows NT server for our web
applications. We are developing using Framework 3.5 (Visual Studio 2008)
with Sql Server 2008 as a back end. I told him we should use Windows Server
2003, which we are licensed for. He was unable to give any rationale, other
than it was stable.

Isn't it the case that the Framework 3.5 technology is to be used in
conjunction with Windows Server 2003? Would Windows NT even work??

Any comments will be appreciated.

--
Sheldon
From: Frankster on

"Sheldon" <Sheldon(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello -
>
> A colleague of mine is arguing we should use Windows NT server for our web
> applications. We are developing using Framework 3.5 (Visual Studio 2008)
> with Sql Server 2008 as a back end. I told him we should use Windows
> Server
> 2003, which we are licensed for. He was unable to give any rationale,
> other
> than it was stable.
>
> Isn't it the case that the Framework 3.5 technology is to be used in
> conjunction with Windows Server 2003? Would Windows NT even work??
>
> Any comments will be appreciated.
>

> --
> Sheldon

Tell him you'd rather use DOS 3.1.

-Frank

From: Sheldon on
LOL. You read my mind. That was precisely what I was thinking of telling
him!!!!

Thanks!
--
Sheldon

From: Dooza on
On 05/01/2010 01:47, Sheldon wrote:
> Hello -
>
> A colleague of mine is arguing we should use Windows NT server for our web
> applications. We are developing using Framework 3.5 (Visual Studio 2008)
> with Sql Server 2008 as a back end. I told him we should use Windows Server
> 2003, which we are licensed for. He was unable to give any rationale, other
> than it was stable.
>
> Isn't it the case that the Framework 3.5 technology is to be used in
> conjunction with Windows Server 2003? Would Windows NT even work??
>
> Any comments will be appreciated.

Is NT a current product that is still supported?

Dooza
From: Brian Cryer on
"Sheldon" <Sheldon(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello -
>
> A colleague of mine is arguing we should use Windows NT server for our web
> applications. We are developing using Framework 3.5 (Visual Studio 2008)
> with Sql Server 2008 as a back end. I told him we should use Windows
> Server
> 2003, which we are licensed for. He was unable to give any rationale,
> other
> than it was stable.
>
> Isn't it the case that the Framework 3.5 technology is to be used in
> conjunction with Windows Server 2003? Would Windows NT even work??
>
> Any comments will be appreciated.

Is this NT 4, NT 3.5 or some earlier incarnation?

I don't think .NET 3.5 is supported on NT, and whilst I haven't tried it, I
think its quite likely that it wouldn't work - because often "not supported"
means "doesn't work".

You would probably also find that if you tried to install NT on modern
hardware that you couldn't get the necessary drivers.

just a poor reflection on the person suggesting it. NT was good in its day,
but it was rendered obsolete over a decade ago.
--
Brian Cryer
www.cryer.co.uk/brian