From: Gntlhnds on
I do not understand why I am not understanding this, but I am trying to set
up a form for inputing student grades. There are 13 classes that I need to
track grades for (currently) as well as a composite grade. I have a table
(tblStudents) with the student information (including [StudentID]), a table
(tblCourses) with course names(two fields, one [CourseID], the other
[Course]), and a table (tblCourseGrades) to keep track of the grades
([GradeID], [StudentID], [CourseID], [Grade]). I'm thinking I'm
understanding relational design and I have the table set-up correct, but
designing the form for inputing the grades I'm just not getting for some
reason or another. I have a combo box that selects the student, and then a
subform (datasheet view) with tblCourseGrades as its source. This is not
working. The subform only shows one blank row. Any help to straighten out
my understanding would be appreciated. I've tried reading various tutorials
on relational design and normalizing, but there is something that I'm just
not getting. Thanks in advance.
From: Daryl S on
Gntlhnds -

Have you assigned the students to the courses? That is, have you populated
the tblCourseGrades table with all the combinations of studentID and CourseID
that make sense? I don't know if this is like an elementary school where
all students in each grade (say 3rd grade) take the same courses (reading,
writing, and arithmetic), or like in college where every student may have a
unique combination of courses.

I don't see the concept of class versus course - this would be the
difference between the course (English 101) and the classes (English 101
taught MWF in Room 12 at 9:00 versus English 101 taught MWF in Room 23 at
10:00, including which semester or quarter they are taught). You didn't
provide details on your requirements, so I don't know if that needs to happen.

In any case, a student must be assigned to a class before they can get a
grade in the class. If you need more help, please provide more information...

--
Daryl S

From: Gntlhnds on
Thanks for the response. The best way to describe my situation would be like
an elementary school, where each class takes the same courses at the same
time. And, no, my tblCourseGrades is not populated with the courses and
students. I'm assuming I would use a query to do this, but how would I work
that? I have classes starting about every two weeks or so, and each class
takes the same courses, so I would need to frequently update that table. I
hope this is enough information. Thanks.
From: KARL DEWEY on
>>I have a combo box that selects the student, and then a subform (datasheet
view) with tblCourseGrades as its source.
I would use a form to select [Class] and [CourseID]. If records did not
exist then run an append query to create the records. When exist display in
subform for grade entry using listbox. Include in choices something to
indicate missed evaluation.

tblStudents –
[StudentID]
[FName] -
[LName] -
[Class] -

tblCourses -–
[CourseID] -
[Course] –

tblCourseGrades –
[GradeID] –
[StudentID] –
[CourseID] –
[Grade] –
[Comment] -

--
Build a little, test a little.

From: John W. Vinson on
On Fri, 23 Apr 2010 07:48:01 -0700, Gntlhnds
<Gntlhnds(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Thanks for the response. The best way to describe my situation would be like
>an elementary school, where each class takes the same courses at the same
>time. And, no, my tblCourseGrades is not populated with the courses and
>students. I'm assuming I would use a query to do this, but how would I work
>that? I have classes starting about every two weeks or so, and each class
>takes the same courses, so I would need to frequently update that table. I
>hope this is enough information. Thanks.

A Query probably will be involved, but you would (I would guess!) need to pick
somebody's brain for the information that Alisia Gonzalez is assigned to the
Management Development class starting May 3. Normally one would do this using
a form and subform arrangement; this could be done in two ways - you could
have a form based on the table of students with a subform based on what I'd
call the "class enrollment" table, allowing you to pick whichever classes this
student needs. Alternatively (or in addition) you could have a form based on
the class table, with a subform allowing you to pick students from a combo box
to enter them into the enrollment table.
--

John W. Vinson [MVP]
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4