From: SC Admin on
Two Computers
-------------
OS: Microsoft Windows Server 2003
Service Pack Level: SP1
Memory: 1GB

Ever since the last time our domain controllers were restarted, there
has been severe memory leaks on both of them causing them to slow down
and eventually stop responding. We assumed that the problem was the
hotfixes that were recently applied (10 Aug 2005) and we uninstalled
them. This fixed it for a while, but it's happening again.

The following error was logged over and over in the System Event Log
until the server died.

Event Source: SRV
Event ID: 2019

"The server was unable to allocate from the system nonpaged pool
because the pool was empty."

We installed poolmon.exe, and took all the necessary steps to configure
it. Now that it's installed, it has become obvious that a kernel
driver with the tag NtFC is using up a lot of the non-paged pool and
not freeing it. The difference keeps getting bigger and bigger until
the server dies.

For some reason, our version of poolmon does not support the switch
that shows to what driver the given tag is mapped. However, judging by
examples on the Microsoft website, it's mapped to ntfs.sys - Create.c.

What would be recommended to solve this problem? Should we replace
ntfs.sys, and if so, with what and how? This problem is causing
network outages frequently and I would really love to deal with it as
soon as possible.

If anyone has any comments or suggestions, I'd love to hear them.

From: SC Admin on
Well, we completely removed those two DCs and replaced them with new
ones. Dirty, but it works, and the network is looking more error-free
than ever.

We surmised that it may have been caused by one server's "imminent hard
disk failure" as diagnosed by "SMART Drive". Perhaps a AD file was
corrupted and replicated? Who knows. A semantic analysis did fix an
issue on the new DCs so very possibly.

From: SC Admin on
Well, we definitely solved the problem. It was Symantec Antivirus 10
Corporate Edition, which we installed on the server. After it was
installed, the difference went up, NtFC allocating 8 pages every few
minutes, releasing 6 at the same time.

When AntiVirus was uninstalled, the difference went to 0 and stayed
there, thank God. We're not sure what caused this to happen, as
AntiVirus was installed for a while; our top two guesses are Group
Policy and a recent Microsoft patch. Who knows?

So it's a word to the wise. We're not sure if anyone else is having
this problem, but if you are: Try uninstalling AntiVirus. It can't
hurt if you do it temporarily and if it's the problem... leave it off.

From: Mike Drechsler - SPAM PROTECTED EMAIL on
SC Admin wrote:
> Well, we definitely solved the problem. It was Symantec Antivirus 10
> Corporate Edition, which we installed on the server. After it was
> installed, the difference went up, NtFC allocating 8 pages every few
> minutes, releasing 6 at the same time.
>
> When AntiVirus was uninstalled, the difference went to 0 and stayed
> there, thank God. We're not sure what caused this to happen, as
> AntiVirus was installed for a while; our top two guesses are Group
> Policy and a recent Microsoft patch. Who knows?
>
> So it's a word to the wise. We're not sure if anyone else is having
> this problem, but if you are: Try uninstalling AntiVirus. It can't
> hurt if you do it temporarily and if it's the problem... leave it off.
>
>>.>

There may be a newer release of Antivirus 10 you can download from
Symantec.

https://fileconnect.symantec.com/licenselogin.jsp?locale=1

There were at least 2 releases of version 10. If you were running the
earlier version it may have been fixed.

--
WARNING! Email address has been altered for spam resistance.
Mike Drechsler (mike-newsgroup@-deletethispart-.upcraft.com)
From: SC Admin on
Thanks for the tip! We'll try it (we're resurrecting the old ones
because they're server-class machines) and we'll post updates.

And note: I'm not recommending no one use Anti-Virus (we have a
non-Symantec program running) but this is just what solved our problem.