From: Uri Dimant on
You change the server name in the .ini file and use regular connection
http://www.connectionstrings.com/

Make sure that you connect to the named isnatance to change the string

From: Erland Sommarskog on
Mody82 (u57214(a)uwe) writes:
> Assume that each Machine has it's own Database , and he can do
> modification on the Databse through the Application only , So It's
> compulsory ( mandatory ) to install the SQL Server on his machine ?

No, you could still run SQL Server on a central server, even if each
user has his own database. Whether this is a good idea is another
matter, that depends a lot on the IT infrastructure in your organisation.

In another post it seems like you intended to sell your software as a
product. Obviously, customers will have to get a database as well. Unless,
you opt to host the databases for them. I would expect the latter to be
a much bigger undertaking.

Links for SQL Server Books Online:

From: Mody82 via SQLMonster.com on
Dear Erland ,
You said run SQL server on Central Server , that's mean I
have to install the SQL any way.
that's waht you mean in your last reply. ?

From: Steen Schl�ter Persson on

You'll have to have a SQL server instance available in one way or the other.
If that's on a central SQL server or if it's on a local PC is up to your.
That depends on how your application is meant to be used, and is not
something we can decide for you. If it's going to be a multi user
application, the database is best placed on a server. If it's only going to
be used by a "local" user on his own PC, it can be placed on the PC. No
matter what, you'll have to determine if there is a SQL instance that can be
used for your application, and if not it will have to be installed - either
by your application or by the user.

--
Regards
Steen Schl�ter Persson (DK)

From: Erland Sommarskog on
Mody82 via SQLMonster.com (u57214(a)uwe) writes:
> You said run SQL server on Central Server , that's mean I
> have to install the SQL any way.
> that's waht you mean in your last reply. ?

Well, for one thing I know very little of what you are doing. What
worries me more is that you nor do you seem to.

One of your posts hint that you intend to sell a product. I can't tell
how you should package your product or how it should be install. The one
thing I can tell you is that you must TEST a user scenario before you
install. That is, build a setup, install on a clean machine, verify that
it works. If you decide to ship SQL Server with your product, you must also
test what happens if there is an SQL Server instance on the machine.
Should you piggyback on that one? Always install your own?

The options I can see from the little information you have provided is:
1) Install SQL Server on each user machine.
2) Make a server-side installation of your package for installation on a
common server.
3) Host all databases on your own server.

My GUESS is that the first option is what you should go for, but it's
only possible for single-user scenarios.

And whatever I am not saying that you should do this or that. I'm just
making wild shots in the dark. And again: If you don't know what you are
doing, we will not know either.

All I can say is whatever you do: TEST!

Links for SQL Server Books Online: