From: Vince Rothwell on
The issue you are having is because SharePoint is trying to subit a job for
OWSTimer (SPJobDefinition). To do this it needs to update the ConfigDB, which
you probably don'y have access to.

My guess is that your site AppPool is using an account which cannot access
the ConfigDB or that you are logged in with an account which is not a farm
administrator.

Your best bet is to ensure you are Farm Admin and activate the feature using
stsadm -o activate feature -name <feature folder name> -url http://<your site>

HTH, TheKid

From: Wes Bowling Wes on
Im having the same exact problem. Has anyone solved this, and what exactly
did you do?

From: Vince Rothwell on
Wes,

I am pretty sure this is to do with the AppPool account of your site
collection.

Using STSADM should work, providing you run from an account which is a Farm
Administrator.

You could also try...

Temporaraily changing the AppPool of your web application (where you are
trying to activate the feature) to be the same as the central admin AppPool
user.

1. Goto IIS Admin
2. Goto the properties of the web application you are using to activate the
feature, goto 'Home Directory'.
3. Change the AppPool to the Central Admin AppPool.
4. IISRESET
5. Activate your feature.
6. Change the AppPool back to the original.

The error is purely because the Feature is trying to create Job Definitions
for OWSTIMER within cetral Admin (Operations->Job Definitons). The AppPool
account does not have permission to do this (Access to the SahrePoint_Config
DB).

Once these jobs have been created and the feature activated you no longer
need the permission.

If this doesn't work have a look at the /12/LOGS folder to see what error
(if any) is being produced

Let me know if it does work...it should I just tried it!!

Vince

--
http://blog.thekid.me.uk

From: Wes Bowling on