From: gdf1903 on
Good morning,

I am new to SharePoint and have a query regarding storage of files
that hopefully someone can assist with. I understand that all files
stored on SharePoint are saved into either a SQL database or a SQL
Express database. Does this database have to be resident on the same
physical server as the SharePoint installation? I have a different
server running SQL for another application and was wondering if it
would be possible to use this? It is on the same LAN. Would there be
performance degradation or is it just not advised?

Thanks,

Gary.
From: Nigel Bridport on
Hi Gary,

Yes, all things stored by SharePoint are hosted within a SQL store of one
form. There are restrictions in using the Express db though such as sizing,

No, if you are using SQL Server, you can host that on a different server
from SharePoint. In fact, for best performance of a multi-server
environment, we positively encourage it!

Cheers,
Nigel.

From: gdf1903 on
On 8 Mar, 14:10, "Nigel Bridport" <mr_bridp...(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Gary,
>
> Yes, all things stored by SharePoint are hosted within a SQL store of one
> form. There are restrictions in using the Express db though such as sizing,
>
> No, if you are using SQL Server, you can host that on a different server
> from SharePoint.  In fact, for best performance of a multi-server
> environment, we positively encourage it!
>
> Cheers,
> Nigel.
>
> <gdf1...(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message

> > Good morning,
>
> > I am new to SharePoint and have a query regarding storage of files
> > that hopefully someone can assist with. I understand that all files
> > stored on SharePoint are saved into either a SQL database or a SQL
> > Express database. Does this database have to be resident on the same
> > physical server as the SharePoint installation? I have a different
> > server running SQL for another application and was wondering if it
> > would be possible to use this? It is on the same LAN. Would there be
> > performance degradation or is it just not advised?
>
> > Thanks,
>
> > Gary.- Hide quoted text -

Great news. Thanks for the reply.
From: Remy on
On Mar 8, 9:10 am, "Nigel Bridport" <mr_bridp...(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Gary,
>
> Yes, all things stored by SharePoint are hosted within a SQL store of one
> form. There are restrictions in using the Express db though such as sizing,
>
> No, if you are using SQL Server, you can host that on a different server
> from SharePoint.  In fact, for best performance of a multi-server
> environment, we positively encourage it!
>
> Cheers,
> Nigel.
>
> <gdf1...(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message

> > Good morning,
>
> > I am new to SharePoint and have a query regarding storage of files
> > that hopefully someone can assist with. I understand that all files
> > stored on SharePoint are saved into either a SQL database or a SQL
> > Express database. Does this database have to be resident on the same
> > physical server as the SharePoint installation? I have a different
> > server running SQL for another application and was wondering if it
> > would be possible to use this? It is on the same LAN. Would there be
> > performance degradation or is it just not advised?
>
> > Thanks,
>
> > Gary.- Hide quoted text -

Care to tell the OP about the costs that are implied with a
multiserver Sharepoint installation? I'd like to know how cheap you
can get in the door with WSS or Search Server w/ SQL Server 2008
installed on another server...