From: kolade on
Hello All-

I have been reading different account of how to set this up around the
web and have found the majority of posts to be contradictory and or
just downright vague. I have scoured Errin O'Conner's "Windwos
Sharepoint Services 3.0 Inside Out" and found nothing useful about the
setup of this functionality other than the three or four settings
within the Central Admin page.

What I would like to know is what I need to configure int the way of
Exchange Connectors and MX records.

I am using an internal Exchange server EXCH01.mydomain.com for SMTP
services.
The Sharepoint WFE server is named SHAREPOINT.mydomain.com.
I have the Sharepoint Directory Mgmt. Service enabled with an OU
configured without issue.

On the Configure Incoming Email Settings page for the Farm I have the
below for the pertinant server entries:

SMTP mail server for incoming mail: SHAREPOINT.mydomain.com
E-mail server display address: EXCH01.mydomain.com

When i send mail to an email enabled sharepoint list
sharetest(a)EXCH01.mydomain.com the NDR that comes back is:

A configuration error in the e-mail system caused the message to
bounce between two servers or to be forwarded between two recipients.
Contact your administrator.
<EXCH01.mydomain.com #5.3.5>

I appeal to your mercy to help me with this as I am nearing actually
calling Redmond and getting them to deal with this. Thanks so much
for any insight you can offer.

Scott

From: Remy on
Have you confirmed SMTP is working? In order to troubleshoot, you'll
need to verify that first. Check out http://support.microsoft.com/kb/323350

You can also test SMTP with a well crafted txt file. I prefer this
method but I cannot find the article on my Blackberry. Search for it b/
c it's sooo much easier than telnet, IMHO.

Cheers,
Matt

From: Remy on
On Mar 5, 5:56 pm, kolade <scottwhar...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello All-
>
> I have been reading different account of how to set this up around the
> web and have found the majority of posts to be contradictory and or
> just downright vague.  I have scoured Errin O'Conner's "Windwos
> Sharepoint Services 3.0 Inside Out" and found nothing useful about the
> setup of this functionality other than the three or four settings
> within the Central Admin page.
>
> What I would like to know is what I need to configure int the way of
> Exchange Connectors and MX records.
>
> I am using an internal Exchange server EXCH01.mydomain.com for SMTP
> services.
> The Sharepoint WFE server is named SHAREPOINT.mydomain.com.
> I have the Sharepoint Directory Mgmt. Service enabled with an OU
> configured without issue.
>
> On the Configure Incoming Email Settings page for the Farm I have the
> below for the pertinant server entries:
>
> SMTP mail server for incoming mail: SHAREPOINT.mydomain.com
> E-mail server display address: EXCH01.mydomain.com
>
> When i send mail to an email enabled sharepoint list
> sharet...(a)EXCH01.mydomain.com  the NDR that comes back is:
>
>  A configuration error in the e-mail system caused the message to
> bounce between two servers or to be forwarded between two recipients.
> Contact your administrator.
>             <EXCH01.mydomain.com #5.3.5>
>
> I appeal to your mercy to help me with this as I am nearing actually
> calling Redmond and getting them to deal with this.  Thanks so much
> for any insight you can offer.
>
> Scott

I tracked down my SMTP Email Tester. Here is what needs to be in the
txt file:

*********Start of Txt File****************

From: youremail(a)example.com
To: youremail(a)example.com
Subject: testing

This is the test message body.

Create that file and copy and paste it into the C:\inetpub\mailroot
\Pickup folder if that's where it's configured. You'll need to find
that out or change it...

Cheers,
Matt