From: MacaMaca on
Experiencing issue with Audience compilation. Audiences based on a property
defined within Sharepoint are working fine. The problem exists with audiences
using memberOf operator. These are now failing for any new users. The profile
import process from AD is working correctly and if I query the "UserMemberof"
table in the SharedServices database, I can view the user and all his group
memberships including the group he was recently added to.
If I compile an audience based on the new group, the new user does not
appear as a member. The audience compilation process appears to query the
"UserMemberships" table but the table does not contain the user in question.
If we manually add the user to this table and run the compilation, the user
appears in the audience. Has anyone experienced any similar issues or does
anyone have any docs on what happens under the covers during the audience
compilation process??

Thanks in advance

--
ML
From: DJX on
My experience with audiences and AD groups is:

- If you use a custom data source for your AD import, it must include groups
and users. I was using an AD query to only get users who were not disabled,
but that excluded groups so I had to change it to get groups OR users not
disabled.

- You must do a FULL user profile import to get new AD groups. An
incremental import does not get them. Heaven only knows why, but there are
many quirks about Sharepoint that leave one baffled...

- When placing a user in an AD group, it takes either time, mutiple
incremental profile imports, or multiple audience compilations to get the
updated group memberships. I have not narrowed down which this is yet. All
I know is that if I have an audience with a rule that is "member of AD
group", if I add a user to that AD group, then do an incremental user
profile import, then compile the audience, it almost never includes that
user. Then I start doing additional incremental imports and audience
compilations, and either those or time passing eventually gets the user
included in the audience. Once again, heaven only knows why it does not
just work...

Another thing that baffles me is why adding an AD group to a site or a site
group reads directly from AD, but audiences require AD groups to be imported
into user profiles. Why not make life easy for everyone and just query AD
directly?

From: Anna Wójcik on
Hi,
I play with audiences as well, but I don't create new audiences, I just
(while configuring visibility of a link) set an audience as a sharepoint
group and choose one of my site groups. Looks like it doesn't work when
I have AD group inside sharepoint group. Do I have to compile audiences
as well? Have you noticed it either?
Best regards,
Ann W.

From: JD on
I have not tried using Sharepoint groups with audiences.

Not to be too negative, but it would not suprise me if it did not work. It
seems like Sharepoint (which I like very much) always finds a way to do only
about 90% of what you really need it to do. Many things that I try work up
to a certain point and then you hit some quirk or limitation that prevents
it from working fully. I could give many examples.

From: Anna Wójcik on
>>I could give many examples.

Me too, I'm afraid and I am not so optimistic with 90% ;)