From: achen on
I received a critical issue from the Sharepoint Health Analyzer as
below. Other than this alert, everything appears working just fine.

Should I resolve this by changing the server farm account, or changing
the accounts for SharePoint - 80 (Application Pool) and
SPUserCodeV4(Windows Service) ?

Title: The server farm account should not be used for other services.

Severity: 1 - Error

Category: Security

Explanation: NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE, the account used for the
SharePoint timer service and the central administration site, is
highly privileged and should not be used for any other services on any
machines in the server farm. The following services were found to use
this account: SharePoint - 80 (Application Pool)
SPUserCodeV4(Windows Service)

Remedy: Browse to http://{server_name}:{port}/_admin/FarmCredentialManagement.aspx
and change the account used for the services listed in the
explanation. For more information about this rule, see "http://
go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=142685".

Failing Services: SPTimerService (SPTimerV4)
From: achen on
Why I found this conflict is because according to this page:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee662519(printer).aspx

********************************
The server farm account is used to perform the following tasks:

- Configure and manage the server farm.
- Act as the application pool identity for the SharePoint Central
Administration Web site.
- Run the Microsoft SharePoint Foundation Workflow Timer Service.
********************************

The second one above (Application Pool) obviously is what the alert
told me having problem. If the server farm was meant to do that, why
does it complain?

From: achen on
Ben,

Thank you for the reply. This is a production environment, I have no
problem changing the SharePoint - 80 (Application Pool) account. Two
more questions:

1. Could I change it to "Local Service", or I need to register a new
local / domain account to do that? When I tried changing it to the
Local Service account, there is a pop-up windows saying:

To ensure that all credential caches in IIS have updated, you must
run the command "IISRESET /NOFORCE" on all servers in the farm.
This should be done after all credential updates have been completed.

Not knowing exactly what it might do, I didn't confirm the change.

2. How about SPUserCodeV4 windows service? Do I just change the "Log
on as" account to Local System?