From: chosmer on
Sharepoint + Trusts + People PickerQuestion: I have a sharepoint vendor who
is trying to sell me Sharepoint Services. I currently run an Active
Directory 2003 Native domain with a handful of users who need to use the
Vendor's sharepoint services.

They contend that they require the following:

1) A one way external trust whereby their domain trusts mine. (I agree with
that)

2) An account on our domain. (There is nothing in the MSFT docs I see that
require this)
They refer to the following article about the People Picker application in
Sharepoint. I have read the article and verified that the STSADM.exe script
seems to use an account in some cases. (Article here :
http://blogs.msdn.com/rajank/default.aspx)

When I asked about the account properties and the reason for its existence,
they refer to the Microsoft Bilge on the benefits of Single-Sign-On, not
having the users continually authenticating, yadayadayada. From what Ive
read, the only other choice they have is Forms Authentication...which is
painful for them to setup.

So....my question is....

Do I truly need to give access to an account in my domain to achive single
sign on?
If so, what are the minimal rights required on that account?