From: Daddy on
What is the big idea behind raising the front of the Studio XPS 8100 a
half-inch or so off the horizontal?

If the idea was to improve access for folks who place the case on the
floor, a measly half-inch (or so) is not going to make a difference.

Meanwhile, all manner of shmutz ("dirt" in Yiddish) is going to get
caught under there...dust, crumbs, you name it...so you're going to be
constantly cleaning. And with what do you clean? You can't fit a brush
under there. You have to blow it out, so now you have shmutz all over
the drapes.

Enlighten me, please.

Daddy
From: William R. Walsh on
Hi!

ITYM "schmutz". But don't quote me on it. :-)

> Enlighten me, please.

It looks like a very similar design that Compaq used on some late
model Presario computers. Those too have a raised front.

Pic:
http://www.mediacenterpcworld.com/images/products/36.jpg

I suppose it's mainly the taste of the designer. And who knows? Maybe
a Compaq designer defected to Dell?

Of course, one could say the same thing of computer fans. That fan
practically assures that all manner of schmutz builds up in the case,
around the vent holes and even in places where it shouldn't, like the
floppy drive. And you're not supposed to use a vacuum sweeper to clean
it up.

Not that I'm complaining. I really enjoy taking a filthy machine
outdoors and hitting it with the air compressor. FWOOSH and one cloud
later, all is right with the world.

Systems that have inhaled enough cigarette or other smoke require more
drastic action:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahhSDEgkqQ8

(yes, it's my video)

William
From: Daddy on
William R. Walsh wrote:
> Hi!
>
> ITYM "schmutz". But don't quote me on it. :-)
>
>> Enlighten me, please.
>
> It looks like a very similar design that Compaq used on some late
> model Presario computers. Those too have a raised front.
>
> Pic:
> http://www.mediacenterpcworld.com/images/products/36.jpg
>
> I suppose it's mainly the taste of the designer. And who knows? Maybe
> a Compaq designer defected to Dell?
>
> Of course, one could say the same thing of computer fans. That fan
> practically assures that all manner of schmutz builds up in the case,
> around the vent holes and even in places where it shouldn't, like the
> floppy drive. And you're not supposed to use a vacuum sweeper to clean
> it up.
>
> Not that I'm complaining. I really enjoy taking a filthy machine
> outdoors and hitting it with the air compressor. FWOOSH and one cloud
> later, all is right with the world.
>
> Systems that have inhaled enough cigarette or other smoke require more
> drastic action:
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahhSDEgkqQ8
>
> (yes, it's my video)
>
> William

I wonder what "appropriate precautions" were taken when placing the
parts into the dishwasher.

In any case, your video inspired me...to take a shower. (And I achieved
results similar to yours.)

Daddy
From: William R. Walsh on
Hi!

> I wonder what "appropriate precautions" were taken when placing
> the parts into the dishwasher.

Well, nothing says "top rack only" so we're good there.

Seriously, I put the few case plastics on the top rack, along with the
drives and fan. Everything else went down below. I used regular
detergent and soft water.

Power supplies are a toss up. The coils and transformers can, at least
in theory, hold water. To dry them, I usually put them in the sun for
a long time.

Don't forget to pull the CMOS battery. Nothing must be powered when
you do this. <<<< do not forget this, or you will VERY sorry

Haven't lost one yet...

> In any case, your video inspired me...to take a shower. (And
> I achieved results similar to yours.)

That's pretty funny. :-)

William