From: kitekrazy on
Ballmer: We Wasted Too Many Years on Vista

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Ballmer-Vista-CEO-Xbox-Steve,10474.html#xtor=RSS-1813

Really?

BTW, my local computer store is selling a copy of Vista Ultimate for
$100. It's the full bloated version, not an upgrade.

Vista Ultimate users were not given any break on the upgrade price for
W7 Ultimate.
From: Bob Donald on
Well, when w7 first came out, they had an unofficial "appeasement" deal of
the 3 pack upgrade for some crazy price like 129, but it looks like once
that they felt that they made amends, the price jumped back up. I'm
surprised it took him this long to admit it, especially after the laptop
manufacturers were offering the option to downgade (?) to XP after all of
the complaints.

From: Martin Holmes on
On 10-05-22 08:16 AM, Glennbo wrote:

> I've known developers who clung to old OSs before. One of the languages I
> write in has numerous people still setting people up with Win2000. I'm
> surprised they didn't just stick with DOS 6.22 to be completely safe. I
> push my company to get with whatever is the OS that will be on new off the
> self PCs that our customers will be buying, although I did recommend that
> people who bought machines with Vista to do the downgrade if they wanted to
> have hair at the end of the day. ;)

I develop Windows software, and I keep my development machines for
old-but-still-supported applications as VMs, running under VirtualBox on
Linux. That way I can keep bug-fixing and supporting the app
indefinitely, without having to worry about hardware failures and the
need to migrate a complicated set of IDE tools to a newer OS where they
most likely won't run. I have an XP VM, for instance, that has some
Delphi 5 projects that were first released in 2003; they're still in use
-- they're now freeware -- and I'll be able to keep fixing them if
necessary for an indefinite time.

I'd like to be able to do that with Sonar installs, actually. It's a bit
of a drag to have to migrate a project from years ago to use a whole new
set of VSTs and plugins that are no longer available; it would be nice,
if you just wanted to do a quick remix of an old song, to fire up a VM
of the machine where it was originally created, run Sonar 2 (or
whatever), and go for it. But we'll need pretty fast machines to run VMs
that can handle all the audio and MIDI stuff well enough.

Cheers,
Martin

From: Phoenix on
On Sat, 22 May 2010 08:07:55 -0700, "Sue Morton"
<867-5309(a)domain.invalid> wrote:
> Guess what I just heard at work? My employer, who "officially"
deploys
> only XP (SP2! They are crazy! SP3 works fine with all our
software,
> I've been deploying anyway and running it for years), has just
announced
> that with EOL for XP they will be rolling out....

> wait for it....

> Vista!

> I could not believe I heard this. I had to ask the powers-that-be
what
> this was about. The answer: We already own nnnn licenses of
Vista. To
> go to W7 instead would require spending too much $$.

....like "any".
From: Sue Morton on
Bigger problem for me is the hardware interface problems with VMs
running inside host software like VirtualBox.

Don't get me wrong, I use VirtualBox on almost every PC, it has come a
long way and is getting better all the time.

When VMs get to the point where they support transparent passthrough for
ANY hardware installed on the host, and or drivers installed in the VM
but transparent activity with the host, that will make them really come
to the fore. Until then, VMs aren't useful for me as they don't
interact well with my soundcards (except via high-latency emulation) and
don't work at all with modems and other similar box hardware.
--
Sue Morton