From: Banana on
On 4/17/10 6:59 AM, Tomahawk Lady wrote:
> So, my question: Should I change all the Requery commands to
> RunCommand/Refresh?
>
> Nance

With knowing a bit more, I'll have to answer in general terms.

Refresh and Requery are quite distinct and should be used appropriately.
I use Refresh when I want to check for any values that may have changed.
I use Requery when I want to check for any new records that may have
been added and rows that may have been removed. Refresh is cheaper than
Requery.

Requery has a side effect of changing the form's record selector back to
the first record - it's as if you close & re-open the form and lost the
place. Refresh doesn't do that but you won't be able to tell if someone
else added a new record or not you can only be sure you have the latest
values for records you already can see.

They are different for a reason and thus should be used accordingly.
From: David W. Fenton on
Salad <salad(a)oilandvinegar.com> wrote in

> David W. Fenton wrote:

>> In short, my bet is that the problem is related to the way macros
>> interact with the UI, and that if you were doing it all in VBA,
>> you wouldn't have the problem. That would explain why nobody has
>> experienced the problem, since most of the people offering help
>> in the Access newsgroups graduated from using macros a long time
>> ago.
>>
> But it seems those that are macro gurus will have a heads-up with
> A2010.

Not so much, seems to me, since the macros are pretty much
completely different, and their utility comes entirely from the
massive enhancements to macros that were not present in previous
versions of Access.

--
David W. Fenton http://www.dfenton.com/
From: David W. Fenton on
Banana <Banana(a)Republic.com> wrote in

> Now with 2010, I can see some use in using macros for simple tasks
> and for data macros & web databases (where there's no choice
> anyway) and I'm quite glad they enhanced the macro language - it's
> not full bodied as VBA and I will continue to write more VBA than
> macros but it's improvement nonetheless.

My concern with macros, even in their new guise, is managing them.
In VBA you can easily tell what's in use and what's not, because
it's compiled. That is, you can rename a function/sub, hit the
compile button and immediately know if it's redundant code that can
be removed. With macros, you can't do that.

Secondly, unless I haven't heard about it, there's no way to browse
through and search all macros and see what's interconnected.
Embedded macros were introduced in A2007 and they make it even
harder, in my opinion, to tell where things are happening.

So, troubleshooting seems to me like it would be very difficult.
Also, the main way I make my living is taking over old apps that
need revival, and very often this means figuring out a tangle of
spaghetti macros and rationalizing it into something more
manageable. If there has been no improvement in the tools for
maintaining and auditing macros, I, too, will avoid them for
anything where they are not essential (just like I do already).

--
David W. Fenton http://www.dfenton.com/
From: Tomahawk Lady on

> Refresh and Requery are quite distinct and should be used appropriately.

Banana, As I played around, I seemed to discover that Refresh only
works with bound objects, while Requery works with unbound. Is that
correct? Nance
From: David W. Fenton on
Tomahawk Lady <nancycmarshall(a)verizon.net> wrote in
m:

> Banana, As I played around, I seemed to discover that Refresh only
> works with bound objects, while Requery works with unbound. Is
> that correct?

Have you read the help file on the two?

Refresh goes back to the database and checks to see if there have
been any changes to the currently displayed data and REFRESHES it.

Requery completely reloads the data set from scratch, which will
eliminate any deletions and pick up any new records. It will also,
incidentally, show any updates to any of the other records.

It's really not a confusing distinction if you just bother to try to
understand it.

--
David W. Fenton http://www.dfenton.com/