From: Tomahawk Lady on
A few months ago, I posted a message about an Apply Filter error
message that only appeared on 2 of 20 or so computers using a program
I developed. None of you had any suggestions although Marco tried to
help.

I finally go my hands on one of those computers and quickly determined
that the problem was the use of Requery. I changed that to RunCommand/
Refresh and the macro ran perfectly.

So, my question: Should I change all the Requery commands to
RunCommand/Refresh?

Nance
From: Salad on
Tomahawk Lady wrote:
> A few months ago, I posted a message about an Apply Filter error
> message that only appeared on 2 of 20 or so computers using a program
> I developed. None of you had any suggestions although Marco tried to
> help.
>
> I finally go my hands on one of those computers and quickly determined
> that the problem was the use of Requery. I changed that to RunCommand/
> Refresh and the macro ran perfectly.
>
> So, my question: Should I change all the Requery commands to
> RunCommand/Refresh?
>
> Nance

I went to Google and searched for
access refresh vs requery
and there's enough hits to fill you in.

As to answering your question, my feeling is don't fix what isn't broken.

Regarding your previous post...not everyone has gotten the error you
have received. I never have. One has to hope others have experienced
something similar.

Sometimes it helps if you produced the code to let others review. For
example, copy/paste all the code events for the textboxes that were
creating the error; Textbox1 and Textbox2. You can also convert a macro
to VB as well. Seeing the code will help oftentimes. Look for "Convert
Macros To Visual Basic" in Access help. I doubt it makes a difference
but who knows, you might have set AllowFilter to false under the form's
data tab in properties inadventently. Or the combobox's recordsource
get's filter isn't getting updated. I would think its probably in your
form's or textboxes update or OnCurrent events that's causing the issue.
That's my throw mud at the wall at hope something sticks answer.

From: David W. Fenton on
Tomahawk Lady <nancycmarshall(a)verizon.net> wrote in
:

> I finally go my hands on one of those computers and quickly
> determined that the problem was the use of Requery. I changed
> that to RunCommand/ Refresh and the macro ran perfectly.
>
> So, my question: Should I change all the Requery commands to
> RunCommand/Refresh?

Most of us with extensive Access experience don't use macros. And I
don't use DoCmd.RunCommand for anything that has a direct VBA
command.

In short, my bet is that the problem is related to the way macros
interact with the UI, and that if you were doing it all in VBA, you
wouldn't have the problem. That would explain why nobody has
experienced the problem, since most of the people offering help in
the Access newsgroups graduated from using macros a long time ago.

--
David W. Fenton http://www.dfenton.com/
From: Salad on
David W. Fenton wrote:
> Tomahawk Lady <nancycmarshall(a)verizon.net> wrote in
> :
>

>>I finally go my hands on one of those computers and quickly
>>determined that the problem was the use of Requery. I changed
>>that to RunCommand/ Refresh and the macro ran perfectly.
>>
>>So, my question: Should I change all the Requery commands to
>>RunCommand/Refresh?
>

> Most of us with extensive Access experience don't use macros. And I
> don't use DoCmd.RunCommand for anything that has a direct VBA
> command.
>
> In short, my bet is that the problem is related to the way macros
> interact with the UI, and that if you were doing it all in VBA, you
> wouldn't have the problem. That would explain why nobody has
> experienced the problem, since most of the people offering help in
> the Access newsgroups graduated from using macros a long time ago.

But it seems those that are macro gurus will have a heads-up with A2010.
From: Banana on
On 4/17/10 2:18 PM, Salad wrote:
> But it seems those that are macro gurus will have a heads-up with A2010.

I dunno.

For starters, macro designer was completely revamped in 2010. It
functions almost like writing code but with much more stronger
intellisense so it actually requires less keystrokes to write macros
than the equivalent VBA code to do something.

Once you become familiar with list of macros (which isn't too hard to
do) it's quite easy to pick up on it. The "macro gurus" will have to
learn the new designer as well and possibly may have un-learning to do
as the new macro designer also introduces If/Then, SubMacros and error
handling.

In my case, I ran away from macros after I managed to corrupt a database
after deleting a macro when I was a noob fumbling the way around Access.
For all I know, the corruption may have been my fault, but I remember
that I couldn't actually delete macro - it wouldn't go away so I went
and learned VBA and never looked back.

Now with 2010, I can see some use in using macros for simple tasks and
for data macros & web databases (where there's no choice anyway) and I'm
quite glad they enhanced the macro language - it's not full bodied as
VBA and I will continue to write more VBA than macros but it's
improvement nonetheless.