From: Patrick Vervoorn on
In article <4783D99C.1D77(a)aol.com>, Gypsy Baron <no-one(a)aol.com> wrote:
>Patrick Vervoorn wrote:
>>
>> In article <4782DF8F.7DE2(a)aol.com>, Gypsy Baron <no-one(a)aol.com> wrote:

>> Tcase is the temperature indicated by a case- or motherboard-sensor? Or is
>> this the 'overall' temperature of the Q6600?
>
> Tcase is reported by the Q6600 sensor as well as the individual core
>sensors.

Aha, ok. It's what listed as the 'CPU' temp in Everest, and something like
Temp3 in SpeedFan (IIRC, not in front of the system at the moment). It's
also the CPU temperature as reported by nTune.

>> What do you mean with Tcase MAX? The maximum temperature you ever saw, or
>> the temperature until which a Q6600 G0 is certified to work ok? If that's
>> indeed the 'overall' temperature of the Q6600, at 71C I expect the cores
>> to be around 90 to 100 C?
>
> Tc is the value Intel uses to spec the temperature limits, etc.
> See the following Intel document and have a look at the charts
> on page 75 for the Q6600 G0 ( 95W ) chip.
>
> ftp://download.intel.com/design/processor/datashts/31559205.pdf

Very enlightening, thanks for the link.

>> What do you mean with "the -15C temperature adjustment"?
>
> First, that should be an offset of +15C....without it Speedfan will
> read the Core temps 15C lower than actual. Sorry for the error.
>
> Speedfan reports temperatures based on a particular sensor
> reference point, as I understand it. It has been reported
> on several overclocking sites that for the Q6600 ( and possibly
> others ) the Speedfan data is incorrect unless one applies a
> +15C adjustment. This can be done by going to the "Configure" tab,
>"Advanced", select "Intel Core" from the drop down list and enter
>a temperature offset of "15" for each core.
>
> I'm using Speedfan version 4.33 BTW. As I mentioned earlier, the
> adjusted temps corellate with Everest. Everest calls Tc "CPU" temp
> while Speedfan reports it as "Temp2" on my motherboard. Speedfans
> "Core" temp is the 8800GTS GPU temp.

Yes, I compared the readouts from Everest and SpeedFan (also 4.33) and
indeed SpeedFan's core-temperature were off by 15C, so I'm seeing the
same.

Thanks for the explanation!

Regards, Patrick.