From: me on
My Dell Mini 9 netbook has a solid state drive but is
too small.... only 8 gig

I'm curious if other netbooks that have CONVENTIONAL
harddrives can be used on their sides, upside down,
etc? Reason is I am used to doing this with my current
Mini 9.

If conventional harddrives can be treated like this , I
will just buy another netbook. However, if the answer
is no it will cost me abt $200 to upgrade current
netbook with bigger SSD, battery, etc

So....depending on how other netbooks can be treated
will decide for me what I should do.

Advice?
From: Christopher Muto on
me(a)privacy.net wrote:
> My Dell Mini 9 netbook has a solid state drive but is
> too small.... only 8 gig
>
> I'm curious if other netbooks that have CONVENTIONAL
> harddrives can be used on their sides, upside down,
> etc? Reason is I am used to doing this with my current
> Mini 9.
>
> If conventional harddrives can be treated like this , I
> will just buy another netbook. However, if the answer
> is no it will cost me abt $200 to upgrade current
> netbook with bigger SSD, battery, etc
>
> So....depending on how other netbooks can be treated
> will decide for me what I should do.
>
> Advice?

there are not many upgrade options for the mini9 as it has a small bay
for the solid state drive (half mini pcie size). most after market ssd
will not fit and the ones that do fit are in pretty short supply and
relatively expensive. supertalent made some that fit but they seem to
be impossible to source these days.

i suggest you look at an asus that has a real 2.5 hard disk. look for
models with the 8+ hour battery life. bestbuy sells asus but for some
reason only sell the ones sporting the meager 3 cell battery and for the
same price or less you can get the same machine with a larger battery
from newegg.com. the other nice thing about the asus vs the mini is
that the asus has a removable memory module which will allow you to
remove the standard 1gb and replace it with a 2gb. then you can happily
run a full copy of windows 7 (including pro) and not just the starter
edition.
From: Christopher Muto on
Christopher Muto wrote:
> me(a)privacy.net wrote:
>> My Dell Mini 9 netbook has a solid state drive but is
>> too small.... only 8 gig
>>
>> I'm curious if other netbooks that have CONVENTIONAL
>> harddrives can be used on their sides, upside down,
>> etc? Reason is I am used to doing this with my current
>> Mini 9.
>>
>> If conventional harddrives can be treated like this , I
>> will just buy another netbook. However, if the answer
>> is no it will cost me abt $200 to upgrade current
>> netbook with bigger SSD, battery, etc
>>
>> So....depending on how other netbooks can be treated
>> will decide for me what I should do.
>>
>> Advice?
>
> there are not many upgrade options for the mini9 as it has a small bay
> for the solid state drive (half mini pcie size). most after market ssd
> will not fit and the ones that do fit are in pretty short supply and
> relatively expensive. supertalent made some that fit but they seem to
> be impossible to source these days.
>
> i suggest you look at an asus that has a real 2.5 hard disk. look for
> models with the 8+ hour battery life. bestbuy sells asus but for some
> reason only sell the ones sporting the meager 3 cell battery and for the
> same price or less you can get the same machine with a larger battery
> from newegg.com. the other nice thing about the asus vs the mini is
> that the asus has a removable memory module which will allow you to
> remove the standard 1gb and replace it with a 2gb. then you can happily
> run a full copy of windows 7 (including pro) and not just the starter
> edition.

ps, found the super talent compatible drive for sale here... 32gb for
$95 is about as good as it gets for this machine...
http://www.ewiz.com/query.php?categry=0&s=FEM32GHDL&x=18&y=13&c=CJ
From: Christopher Muto on
Christopher Muto wrote:
> Christopher Muto wrote:
>> me(a)privacy.net wrote:
>>> My Dell Mini 9 netbook has a solid state drive but is
>>> too small.... only 8 gig
>>>
>>> I'm curious if other netbooks that have CONVENTIONAL
>>> harddrives can be used on their sides, upside down,
>>> etc? Reason is I am used to doing this with my current
>>> Mini 9.
>>>
>>> If conventional harddrives can be treated like this , I
>>> will just buy another netbook. However, if the answer
>>> is no it will cost me abt $200 to upgrade current
>>> netbook with bigger SSD, battery, etc
>>>
>>> So....depending on how other netbooks can be treated
>>> will decide for me what I should do.
>>>
>>> Advice?
>>
>> there are not many upgrade options for the mini9 as it has a small bay
>> for the solid state drive (half mini pcie size). most after market
>> ssd will not fit and the ones that do fit are in pretty short supply
>> and relatively expensive. supertalent made some that fit but they
>> seem to be impossible to source these days.
>>
>> i suggest you look at an asus that has a real 2.5 hard disk. look for
>> models with the 8+ hour battery life. bestbuy sells asus but for some
>> reason only sell the ones sporting the meager 3 cell battery and for
>> the same price or less you can get the same machine with a larger
>> battery from newegg.com. the other nice thing about the asus vs the
>> mini is that the asus has a removable memory module which will allow
>> you to remove the standard 1gb and replace it with a 2gb. then you
>> can happily run a full copy of windows 7 (including pro) and not just
>> the starter edition.
>
> ps, found the super talent compatible drive for sale here... 32gb for
> $95 is about as good as it gets for this machine...
> http://www.ewiz.com/query.php?categry=0&s=FEM32GHDL&x=18&y=13&c=CJ

oh, and check out runcore for their mini 9 compatible ssd drives...
http://runcore.com/
and buy here...
http://www.mydigitaldiscount.com
search for "dell mini" to narrow down the offerings.
From: Brian K on

"Christopher Muto" <muto(a)worldnet.att.net> wrote in message

> i suggest you look at an asus that has a real 2.5 hard disk. look for
> models with the 8+ hour battery life. bestbuy sells asus but for some
> reason only sell the ones sporting the meager 3 cell battery and for the
> same price or less you can get the same machine with a larger battery from
> newegg.com. the other nice thing about the asus vs the mini is that the
> asus has a removable memory module which will allow you to remove the
> standard 1gb and replace it with a 2gb. then you can happily run a full
> copy of windows 7 (including pro) and not just the starter edition.

Just a plug for Asus. I have a 1000HE with a 320 GB HD and 2 GB of RAM. It
has multiple OS but I mainly use WinXP as I'm used to it. Win7 is one of the
OS and as it runs slightly faster than WinXP, it is being used more
frequently.