From: Norm on

"Karl E. Peterson" <karl(a)exmvps.org> wrote in message
> Norm wrote:

>>> I just tried it (using all the same parameters, of course), and the
>>> second call to ShellNotifyIcon fails. No harm, no foul.
>>
>> I will leave it as is and wait for Explorer to have a problem and reset,
>> unless someone can think of a way to test this. I am running Windows 7 64
>> bit, but have other operating systems for testing. I just can not think
>> of a way to make explorer reset the task bar.
>
> Just kill the explorer.exe process(es) in TaskMgr. :-)
>
> --
> .NET: It's About Trust!
> http://vfred.mvps.org

I did that, but how do you restart it?

From: Norm on
Got it, through another one of my apps that shows and hides the desktop, I
have an options of showing the icons on the desktop through a hotkey. I
copied a shortcut to Windows Explorer to the desktop and then stopped
Explorer. Using the hotkey I was able to start Explorer again and that Icon
did show. Thanks a lot Karl, I will not implement this option in all my
other apps.

Norm

From: Bob Butler on

"Norm" <NormF4(a)spoof.com> wrote in message
> Got it, through another one of my apps that shows and hides the desktop, I
> have an options of showing the icons on the desktop through a hotkey. I
> copied a shortcut to Windows Explorer to the desktop and then stopped
> Explorer. Using the hotkey I was able to start Explorer again and that
> Icon did show. Thanks a lot Karl, I will not implement this option in all
> my other apps.

Explorer restarts automatically if/when the last instance is killed... or
have you configured something else as the shell?

From: Norm on

"Bob Butler" <noway(a)nospam.ever> wrote in message

> "Norm" <NormF4(a)spoof.com> wrote in message
>> Got it, through another one of my apps that shows and hides the desktop,
>> I have an options of showing the icons on the desktop through a hotkey. I
>> copied a shortcut to Windows Explorer to the desktop and then stopped
>> Explorer. Using the hotkey I was able to start Explorer again and that
>> Icon did show. Thanks a lot Karl, I will not implement this option in all
>> my other apps.
>
> Explorer restarts automatically if/when the last instance is killed... or
> have you configured something else as the shell?

Hi Bob,

It does not restart on my install of Windows 7 64 bit, I have to restart it
manually.

Norm

From: Karl E. Peterson on
Norm wrote:
> "Bob Butler" <noway(a)nospam.ever> wrote...
>> Explorer restarts automatically if/when the last instance is killed... or
>> have you configured something else as the shell?
>
> It does not restart on my install of Windows 7 64 bit, I have to restart it
> manually.

I have seen that happen, although very rarely. The "trick" if you want
to call it that, is to kill it (all instances of it) with Task Manager
in the Processes tab, then switch over to the Applications tab which
offers you a "New Task..." button. :-)

--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org