From: John Bowling on
Since the update from a few days ago. The Leave icon pulls up a descriptive
prompt part of the time when clicked on. Occationally, you get the list of
options to click (restart, shutdown, etc) but clicking them does absolutly
nothing.

I have to go to a konsole, su and then shutdown.

So kde4 is now back to the major reason I got rid of Xfce.

Is there ANY window manager that does shutdown? From other questions here,
the problem has existed for more than a few months.
From: Paul J Gans on
John Bowling <johnlb2002(a)cox.net> wrote:
>Since the update from a few days ago. The Leave icon pulls up a descriptive
>prompt part of the time when clicked on. Occationally, you get the list of
>options to click (restart, shutdown, etc) but clicking them does absolutly
>nothing.

>I have to go to a konsole, su and then shutdown.

>So kde4 is now back to the major reason I got rid of Xfce.

>Is there ANY window manager that does shutdown? From other questions here,
>the problem has existed for more than a few months.

KDE 3.5 does it quite reliably.

--
--- Paul J. Gans
From: taco on
DenverD wrote:

> Paul J Gans wrote:
>> John Bowling <johnlb2002(a)cox.net> wrote:
>>> Since the update from a few days ago. The Leave icon pulls up a
>>> descriptive prompt part of the time when clicked on. Occationally, you
>>> get the list of options to click (restart, shutdown, etc) but clicking
>>> them does absolutly nothing.
>>
>>> I have to go to a konsole, su and then shutdown.
>>
>>> So kde4 is now back to the major reason I got rid of Xfce.
>>
>>> Is there ANY window manager that does shutdown? From other questions
>>> here, the problem has existed for more than a few months.
>>
>> KDE 3.5 does it quite reliably.
>
> every time, with almost boring predictability.. Yeah!

I normally wait for a while before installing a new version but last weekend
I installed 11.2 on a new PC at home. After some hesitation kde4 and as
second option gnome. Kde4 crashed the system when enabling desktop effects
(it's an ati card, but shouldn't result in a crash!). Gnome was very
reliable with the effects by the way and I liked the graphics also much
more (in a way sharper), so I recommend gnome to give a try.
the shutdown problems are also familiar with this 11.2 and kde4. I saw it
too (yes, just after a fresh installation, the third reboot was only
possible by pressing the reset button!). Until now it works without
problems, but it doesn't give me a good feeling. 11.2 has been released too
early clearly and it's not like the move from 10.1 to 10.2 and 8 and 9
series where the .2 version was always very stable.
taco
From: Vlad_Inhaler on
On May 6, 12:29 am, John Bowling <johnlb2...(a)cox.net> wrote:
> Since the update from a few days ago. The Leave icon pulls up a descriptive
> prompt part of the time when clicked on. Occationally, you get the list of
> options to click (restart, shutdown, etc) but clicking them does absolutly
> nothing.
>
> I have to go to a konsole, su and then shutdown.
>
> So kde4 is now back to the major reason I got rid of Xfce.
>
> Is there ANY window manager that does shutdown? From other questions here,
> the problem has existed for more than a few months.

This machine is a fresh 11.2 install as of a few weeks ago - new
hardware, not re-initialising after problems. I set it up as a 32-bit
system with kde4. I have had nothing like you are seeing at all, it
simply works.

I also have a couple of machines I use sporadically, both with 11.2
x64, both with kde4. Again, no problems with shutdown. Finally, my
old Via C7 which now runs as a server under 11.2. Problems with the
sound card but the rest works.
Occasionally one of the last 3 machines mentioned stops handling
updates properly and I have to do a Yast Online Update. The Via C7
craps out if I use NVidia's own drivers but the open source ones are
fine.

One thing, apart from the Via C7 server, I have the desktop kernel up
everywhere.
From: John Bowling on
houghi wrote:

> taco wrote:
>> I normally wait for a while before installing a new version but last
>> weekend I installed 11.2 on a new PC at home. After some hesitation kde4
>> and as second option gnome. Kde4 crashed the system when enabling desktop
>> effects (it's an ati card, but shouldn't result in a crash!). Gnome was
>> very reliable with the effects by the way and I liked the graphics also
>> much more (in a way sharper), so I recommend gnome to give a try.
>
> As long as you are trying, don't stop with KDE and GNOME. XFCE is just
> one click more.
>
> houghi

This system has had full installs 11.2 with kde4 only, then Xfce, only and
now kde4 again. All with / getting formatted and a new empty /home/john
directory each time, to eliminate any residual interference from the other.
After it worked, I then copied over needed stuff from my saved /home/oldjohn
directory. And for a week or two they all did shutdown properly, but after
that it stops working - on all of them.

And with kde4 I have had the dashboard go way when I was setting things, and
there is nothing that brings it back.

I have not used the desktop kernel on any of them.

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2
Prev: drag-and-drop from dolphin
Next: user passsword