From: BeeGee on
Hi,

Running Windows XP SP2 with all available SP2 updates, each time I boot or
reboot my PC, windowsupdate.log records the following (apparent) error
message:

2008-07-21 11:47:21:687 1020 414 Misc
=========== Logging initialized (build: 7.0.6000.381, tz: -0500)
===========
2008-07-21 11:47:21:687 1020 414 Misc = Process: C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
2008-07-21 11:47:21:687 1020 414 Misc = Module:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuaueng.dll
2008-07-21 11:47:21:687 1020 414 Shutdwn Install at shutdown: no updates to
install
2008-07-21 11:47:21:687 1020 414 Shutdwn FATAL: WUCheckForUpdatesAtShutdown
failed, hr=80240FFF
2008-07-21 11:47:27:375 432 760 Misc
=========== Logging initialized (build: 7.0.6000.381, tz: -0500)
===========
2008-07-21 11:47:27:375 432 760 Misc = Process:
\??\C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
2008-07-21 11:47:27:375 432 760 Misc = Module:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuaueng.dll
2008-07-21 11:47:27:375 432 760 Shutdwn FATAL: WUAutoUpdateAtShutdown
failed, hr=80240FFF

I prefer to manually update Windows XP at
www.update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate/v6/default.aspx?ln=en-us, so the
following Windows XP Services are 'Disabled' when I am not updating:

- Automatic Updates (wuauserv)
- Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS)

However, when I do update, at MS' update website, I set 'Automatic Updates'
to Automatic (and Start the service) and I set 'Background Intelligent
Transfer Service' to Manual (and if there are updates available, it starts
itself and sets Automatic). When finished, if rebooting is required (after
rebooting) or if rebooting is not required, I return both service to
'Disabled.'

Using Windows Firewall, with no anti-virus software running, as a 56K
dial-up user, home PC, single user, no home network, the remaining Windows
XP SP2 services are set as follows:

AUTOMATIC
> Cryptographic Services
> DCOM Server Process Launcher
> Event Log
> Plug and Play
> Print Spooler
> Protected Storage
> Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
> Security Accounts Manager
> Security Center
> Server
> Shell Hardware Detection
> System Event Notification
> Task Scheduler
> User Profile Hive Cleanup
> Windows Audio
> Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS)
> Windows Management Instrumentation

DISABLED
> Alerter
> Automatic Updates
> Background Intelligent Transfer Service
> Clipbook
> Computer Browser
> DHCP Client
> DNS Client
> Error Reporting Service
> Fast User Switching Compatibility
> Human Interface Device Access
> IMAPI CD-Burning COM Service (use Nero)
> Indexing Service
> IPSEC Services
> Messenger
> Net Logon
> NetMeeting Remote Desktop Sharing
> Network DDE
> Network DDE DSDM
> Performance Logs and Alerts [ - - disabled Performance Counters via
> Extensible Counter Tool - - ]
> Portable Media Serial Number Service
> QoS RSVP
> Remote Access Auto Connection Manager
> Remote Desktop Help Session Manager
> Routing and Remote Access
> Secondary Logon
> Smart Card
> SSDP Discovery Service
> System Restore Service
> TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper
> Terminal Services
> Themes
> Uninterruptible Power Supply
> Universal Plug and Play Device Host
> WebClient
> Windows Time
> Wireless Zero Configuration

MANUAL
>.NET Runtime Optimization Service V2.0.5.0727_X86
> Application Layer Gateway Service
> ASP.NET State Service
> COM+ Event System
> COM+ System Application
> Distributed Link Tracking Client
> Distributed Transaction Coordinator
> Help and Support
> HTTP SSL
> Logical Disk Manager
> Logical Disk Manager Administration Service
> MS Software Shadow Copy Provider
> Network Connections
> Network Location Awareness (NLA)
> Network Provisioning Service
> NT LM Security Support Provider
> Remote Access Connection Manager
> Remote Procedure Call (RPC) Locator
> Removable Storage
> Telephony
> Volume Shadow Copy
> Windows Image Acquisition (WIA)
> Windows Installer
> Windows User Mode Driver Framework
> WMI Performance Adapter
> Workstation

How do I correct my system to eliminate the (apparent) errors from
happening, and subsequently being recorded in windowsupdate.log?

Many thanks,

BG

From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
1. Set both Automatic Updates and BITS (Background Intelligent Transfer
Service) to Automatic and try again.

2. See this related KB article (ignore the title and Symptoms section,
including the Errors): http://support.microsoft.com/kb/836941

=> Do NOT ignore "Step 3: Disable software accelerator programs"!!

3. See this recent & related discussion:
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsupdate/browse_frm/thread/5abb4cba10724aeb

4. Last but not least:

Support for Windows Update:

security updates.

your usual support contacts.
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
AumHa VSOP & Admin; DTS-L.net

From: MowGreen [MVP] on
Enable the following service, reboot, and see if the errors appear in
the WU.log.
If no errors, disable them one at a time, in the order they're listed,
until you find which one is causing the error to appear :

DNS Client
IPSEC Services
TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper
WebClient

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

From: BeeGee on
Hello PA Bear, and thank you for your prompt and generous reply. :o)

> 1. Set both Automatic Updates and BITS (Background Intelligent Transfer
> Service) to Automatic and try again.

Prior to posting, I did try this and there were a few more lines that
followed those included in my original post.

> 2. See this related KB article (ignore the title and Symptoms section,
> including the Errors): http://support.microsoft.com/kb/836941

I shall review this and comment later.

> => Do NOT ignore "Step 3: Disable software accelerator programs"!!

I do not have any accelerator programs installed.

> 3. See this recent & related discussion:
> http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsupdate/browse_frm/thread/5abb4cba10724aeb

I shall also review this and comment later.

> 4. Last but not least:

> https://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?gprid=6527

Understood.

Thanks again!!

Brianna :o)

From: BeeGee on
I will give your suggestions a try, MowGreen, but before I do, I have to say
that . . .

- there is no value enabling DNS, its merely a caching program that actually
slows my forward browsing down (where back browsing may be immediate, I can
set my browser cache to do the same without DNS' degrading effect on
resourses);

- I get errors with ISPSEC (dependent on DNS running);

- as a dial-up user, the TCP/IP driver does not like NetBIOS running over
it, and my ISP does not use NetBIOS or WINS; and

- WebClient is a USELESS service since I have no need or desire to modify
Internet-based files, and I find no negative effect or error message (of any
related type) associated with MS .NET Framework 1.1, 2.0 and their
respective SP1 service packs, and I do not use or run MS' Media Player,
Messenger, MSN Explorer, Media Player or NetMeeting.

All that being said, I will give your suggestions a try, and report back
with the conclusion(s).

BG