From: Trevor Rabey on
I asked this question and got this answer. The part about the 90 days doesn't seem to be correct to me.
I have Outlook Express downloading the most recent 1000 headers and the earliest of them is 17/08/2009, and the Outlook Express folder shows more than 110,000 un-read.

Hi Trevor,
Thank you for taking the time to report issues or provide comments and suggestions about the Evolution of Communities and the Migration to Forums
Microsoft NNTP Newsgroups have always followed a 90-day data retention policy, meaning that whether through a NNTP newsreader or WebNews forum site, only posts from the past 90-days are available
When we delete the newsgroups over the next few months, data will no longer be accessible through the Microsoft NNTP news server (via newsreader or WebNews).To mitigate this we'll provide sufficient notification, including alternative forums, in each newsgroup prior to its shutdown. This should allow sufficient lead time to allow conversations and questions to migrate away from the newsgroup and to a forum destination.
Should any additional details be needed to address your feedback, we'll be in direct contact with you via the email address provided.
More infomration about this project can be found here:

http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/default.mspx

Sruthi Ramasahayam
NNTP to Forums Migration Support

From: Andrew Lavinsky on
Hey Trevor, this doesn't quite address your main issue of the data repository,
but it may help you continue using Outlook Express with the NNTP Bridge add-in.

http://connect.microsoft.com/MicrosoftForums

- Andrew Lavinsky
Blog: http://blogs.catapultsystems.com/epm

From: Gary L. Chefetz on
Trevor:

In true UseNet, posts are never deleted, so it all depends on what server you connect to when reading the groups. When you connect directly to microsoft.public.project you will see that the 90-day retention policy is in place and has been now for two or three years. The reason why Microsoft is shutting down NNTP, (the really potent reason) is that they no longer have a platform to support it.

--
Gary L. Chefetz, MVP, MCT, MCTIP
Business: http://www.msprojectexperts.com

From: Jack Dahlgren MVP on
Trevor,

Groups.Google.Com archives the MS newsgroups.

http://groups.google.com/groups/dir?lnk=nhpsfg&q=microsoft.public.project

They took over from Dejanews several years ago and it has become more difficult to find things and a bunch of stuff is just plain missing now, but it is still probably the best free searchable spot for the old data.

With the demise of the microsoft hosted news groups there is talk of adding some groups to the usenet heirarchy, but I've not heard anything about the project groups taking this approach.

-Jack

From: Trevor Rabey on
I tried the Google Groups and tried to go back older, older, older to see how far it would go.
Then, after not many, I got this:

We're sorry...
.... but your computer or network may be sending automated queries. To protect our users, we can't process your request right now.

See Google Help for more information.

--
Trevor Rabey
0407213955