From: louise on
On 7/8/2010 6:57 AM, Jeff Gaines wrote:

> I am making a serious attempt to use Win7-x64 although
> something happens nearly every day to make me want to go
> back to XP Pro x64 :-(
>
> The latest event is the silent failure of an application to
> run. It has been working for weeks but last night it just
> didn't run (it's kicked off by the task scheduler). I then
> discovered it wouldn't run manually either. I re-booted and
> all is well again, for how long I don't know.
>
> There is nothing in the event log as far as I can see -
> although that's almost impossible to find your way around.
>
> I also found this morning that another app - one I am
> writing in VS 2008 - also failed silently instead of
> throwing up an error message.
>
> Is this silent failure a feature of Win7?

I had this happen with plain old Epson scanning software
where I definitely had the 64 bit drivers from Epson.
Rebooted and ok.

Then I've had part of a program essentially disappear on
several occasions. It's a database scheduling program for
accounts. The first window always works - where the
contacts are actually listed. However, the actuall
scheduling window just opens blank and freezes. Here
rebooting doesn't work and I need to restore a backup. That
seems to fix it, but I've no idea why it happens ......

These events are what I've run into in one week of running 7
Prof 64 bit - I expect there's more to come :)

Louise