From: louise on
Does anyone know whether Microsoft will continue to have
newsgroups for Office 2010?

My news server, news.individual.net doesn't seem to be
showing any microsoft.public.office2010 of any of the programs.

Are they available on a different server?

Thanks.

Louise
From: barb bowman on
Microsoft will never initiate another new NNTP newsgroup. MS has pronounced NNTP
dead.

Go to http://communitybridge.codeplex.com/ and download and install V40 of the
Community Bridge. You will be able to use the Technet Office 2010 forums with
your news client.

On Mon, 09 Aug 2010 02:55:55 -0400, louise <louise(a)invalid.invalid> wrote:

>Does anyone know whether Microsoft will continue to have
>newsgroups for Office 2010?
>
>My news server, news.individual.net doesn't seem to be
>showing any microsoft.public.office2010 of any of the programs.
>
>Are they available on a different server?
>
>Thanks.
>
>Louise
Barb Bowman
MS-MVP
http://www.digitalmediaphile.com
http://digitalmediaphile.wordpress.com
From: R. C. White on
Hi, Louise.

As Barb said - and you apparently know already - Microsoft is shutting down
all the Microsoft public newsgroups and will close the msnews.microsoft.com
server by October.

Many thousands of non-MS Usenet news servers around the world have always
mirrored these NGs and many will probably continue some of them so long as
we users keep posting in them. My ISP's news server (Giganews, I think)
still lists hundreds of NGs with "office" in their names, including about 40
microsoft.public.office.* groups in English and many in other languages.
However, when I tried to have a look at a couple of them this morning, I got
tangled in WLMail's message-handling system :>(

When I went to microsoft.public.office, I got about 20,000 messages, but
they were all dated 2003 to 2005, I think, so I unsubscribed. This little
exercise took me several minutes because of the way that WLM insists on
downloading all the messages before it will show me one. (Part of the
problem, of course, is my own settings in Tools| Options | Read.) Then I
got the bright idea to skip "office" and go to "excel". The
microsoft.public.excel NG has over 150,000 messages and WLM wanted to
download them ALL - and wouldn't let me abort the process, so I wound up
tangled in several attempts to kill the process, even with Windows Task
Manager. With a few extraneous interruptions taking me away from the
computer for a while, it took me an hour or more to get back on track - and
I'm NOT going to try to have another look into that m.p.excel NG today!
But, so far as I could determine, those messages go back to 2003 but peter
out in about June 2010, with only a handful of messages after that. My
conclusion is that, for all practical purposes, that NG is now dead and
useless -unless you want to collect the old posts for your archives.

And a search for any NGs with "office" and "2010" in their names got NO
hits.

I don't like using Forums, but that seems the only way forward, so our best
course is to take Barb's advice.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

From: henry markov on
Barb,
I think you have it exactly right when you say "MS has pronounced ..." MS
has never felt an obligation for consensus or common purpose; their only
interest is to maximize their power and profit. For myself, I hate to see
them use their power to try to kill off newsgroups which I have been using
for more than 26 years and have always found to be the single best resource
that the Internet provides.

HM

From: KCB on

"henry markov" <hm(a)noplace.net> wrote in message
> Barb,
> I think you have it exactly right when you say "MS has pronounced ..." MS
> has never felt an obligation for consensus or common purpose; their only
> interest is to maximize their power and profit. For myself, I hate to see
> them use their power to try to kill off newsgroups which I have been using
> for more than 26 years and have always found to be the single best
> resource that the Internet provides.
>
> HM

Henry, corporations exist to make money. That is their purpose for being.
As far as the newsgroups, they will no longer be hosting any on Microsoft
servers. Many of the Microsoft newsgroups are still available on other news
servers.