From: Angus on
Something of a noob question probably!

When I look at my site settings in FP2003 I see FP server extensions
version 6.0.2.6551 but alongside server version it says 'No server
currently in use'. I'm wondering if an answer to this could be part of a
'solution' to a problem I'm experiencing?

BTW I'm hosting my own site.

I'm running XP pro and FP2003 when I check server extensions they check
out ok, ie I get a result that says literally 'Checking web http://',
the goes on to say 'No problems found End check etc. My problem is that
I cannot publish anything to my web site that needs fp extensions and
keep getting a message the web doesn't support fp extensions.
Specifically the message is along these lines:-

Unable to open 'http://sitename'
Server error: An error occurred accessing your Windows Sharepoint
Services site files (this goes on)
Possible causes:
1. FP extensions not installed
2. The web server is temporarily out of service (but it's running!)
3. Proxy server stuff (no proxy server)
4. An error may have occurred on the web server

This url points to the site if that helps, please be gentle if you have
any comments as it's my very first attempt at any kind of web site, I
normally ask friends for help when that's needed but thought I'd better
get some experience!! http://www.base16.co.uk

TIA
From: Ronx on
>ie I get a result that says literally 'Checking web http://',

If you were checking the extensions on Windows XP Pro, and if that is
the complete message, then the extensions are not correctly installed.
The message should be 'Checking web http://machinename' where
machinename is the name given to your computer.

FPSE version 6.0.2.6551 are the extensions used for disc-based webs,
so "no server currently in use" would be correct with that version.

The missing page http://www.base16.co.uk/_vti_inf.html indicates that
there are no server extensions installed at http://www.base16.co.uk
--
Ron Symonds - Microsoft MVP (FrontPage)
FrontPage Support: http://www.frontpagemvps.com/

From: Angus on
Firstly Ron, many thanks for coming back so quickly.

That's what I thought I should see and I don't get http://machinename

> FPSE version 6.0.2.6551 are the extensions used for disc-based webs,
> so "no server currently in use" would be correct with that version.
>
> The missing page http://www.base16.co.uk/_vti_inf.html indicates that
> there are no server extensions installed at http://www.base16.co.uk

Bummer, this PC and it's OS has been screwed around with quite a lot -
I'm wondering whether it might be as well for me to remove the web
server and FP extensions and start from scratch. If I were to do that do
you know of an FAQ that covers 'complete' removal and re-install?

Alternatively can you point me in the right direction for the correct
version of FP extensions, also I don't believe I need sharepoint as this
is not a collaborative project - would that be correct?

Many thanks